Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
U.S. Military 22 caliber rifles (Read 3245 times)
Marlin 1888
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

U.S. Military 22 caliber rifles
Jun 15th, 2020 at 3:07am
Print Post  
Hi, I am new here. I am wondering if anybody besides myself is interested in U.S. Military 22 caliber rifles.
I have a few and am interested in any information regarding these weapons.
My current project is finding a Krag 22 cal. barrel.
Lets talk if you find these weapons interesting.

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: U.S. Military 22 caliber rifles
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2020 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Is this Val?

In discussing US Military 22 caliber Krags, differentiate between ordinary rifles fitted with Stevens-Pope barrels (high demand collectors items if in excellent condition) and the less desirable Gallery Practice Rifle (GPR).

GPRs come with two types of barrels.  Early production (?) has .226" groove diameter, 18" twist and were chambered for the .22 Extra Long rimfire.  Why that was done only the military mind can explain.  They function with ordinary .22 Long Rifle cartridges but are not very accurate.  They are surprisingly accurate with CCI Stingers and similar hyper-velocity rimfires, but that defeats their purpose.

Later GPRs are reported to have been made to conventional .22 Long Rifle groove and chamber dimensions.  I have not seen one of those.

The challenge with a replacement barrel would be fitting an extractor.  The extractor on the Krag bolt grabbed an auxiliary extractor.  The aux. extractor is what pulled the cartridge case out of the chamber and deposited it inside the Krag action.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2020 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
I wish someone made a reproduction 'Steven's - Pope' type barrel or a heavy walled liner with an off-set bore.

I have a model 1898 with a bad looking bore, that I would love to turn in to a .22 cal. practice rifle.

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 12:40am
Print Post  
Has anyone ever looked at the Lee Enfield .22 cal tube insert device? Could that be made to fit a Krag with the rimmed 30-40 chamber, similar to the .303 rim.

Just spit ball'in.

And Yes, I have several .22 training rifles. US and Foreign models.

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Never seen the 303 conversion device, sounds practical. A 303 cartridge does fit into a 30/40 chamber. Even if the extended barrel is tight, opening up a worn out 30/40 barrel could not be too hard. Try it out, if it works make permanent with epoxy or Loctite.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
The British Device was called a 'Morris Tube'. I have seen them in pictures on SMLE rifles and Webley revolvers.

IIRC - The Webley cylinder was replaced with a chambered block and became a single-shot.

The one for Lee-Enfield rifles likely angled down the bore and was 'off-set' at the chamber to take advantage of the issue center-fire pin and .303 extractor.

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 12:16am
Print Post  
I have been trying to find the publication titled "Description and Instructions for Management of .22 Caliber U. S. Magazine Rifle, Model of 1898", but have not been able to find it. It did/does exist as the link shows:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

However, I did find this from the 1903/1904 Report of the Adjutant General of Texas (see page 90):

Here is the pamphlet for the Model 1903 Gallery Rifle:

« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2020 at 2:57am by Knute1 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint