Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 1899C bored for a scope (Read 2084 times)
Tx63S80
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1899C bored for a scope
Jun 28th, 2020 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
1st post

I have my fathers 1899C #361842 I don't think there's anything special about it, let me now if anyone wants more pics. There is a mark behind the trigger guard. The front sight is on a Rex Ramp.

Beautiful rifle, I wish it hadn't been cut on.

Keith

IP Logged

Old Soldier
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1899C bored for a scope
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 12:08am
Print Post  
What do you mean there's nothing special about it? It was your Dad's! Now it's yours to care for, for your Son. You'll find it handy, sweet shooting and plenty powerful for most game. Enjoy.

" Should it come to war... we shall place our trust in God and our Long Rifles" Continental Congress

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
You might post some more pictures of the rear sight, hand guard, and stock. Members here can give you insight as to the history what if any of the parts are untouched and have a high collector value.

We all get old and scopes give us a chance to hunt longer. You may appreciate having a scope in the future if you hunt. Right now plugging the holes with screws that could be easily removed may improve the eye appeal.

If you have a bunch of high value parts on this carbine, a marriage of yours with another 1899 with a broken stock could be a happy affair.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2020 at 6:08pm by FredC »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
'Tx63s80' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. It's pretty neat you inherited a Family Hunting Krag!

Model 1899 carbine, #361842, would have been assembled at Springfield Armory, around December, 1901.

Your stock appears to be a 'cut-down' rifle stock, so it is not original to the carbine barreled-action.

Your hand-guard appears to be cut for the 1902 rear sight. This is a very useful rear-sight, if you want to add one to your Dad's Krag. They sell for about $70 on ebay, sometimes including the screws.
Reproduction sight-screws are available from S&S Firearms, (Glendale, N.Y.).

Your receiver appears drilled & tapped for a Weaver side-mount. The #2 adapter-plate (with screws) is pretty inexpensive, when one shows up on ebay. The #2 plate would cover-up some 'blemishes'.
The Weaver #49350, detachable 'one inch' Side-Mount, (which holds the scope and attaches to the #2 plate), is still available from some dealers for $40, or less.

You have a good Krag for Hunting and Plinking. Enjoy it as your Dad did!

Attached: Photo of 1902 sight and hand-guard. Photo of Weaver side-mount and adapter-plate for Krag. 

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Are we sure it is an 1899 Carbine Model? With a tapped screw hole I can only see the top of the last digit 189? Cut down rifle stock, no original front sight or rear carbine marked sight to inspect. I would bet on a cut down 1898 rifle.

That said. No Krag is an orphan. I like originals but I have a few guns that my dad modified and I would not trade them at any price because they were his and I miss him everyday.

Keep his/your Krag and treasure the memories! Make it a work in progress and he would be proud of your efforts.

CAT Man

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Cat Man is correct about the damage to the last digit.

Lots of model 1899 carbines around #361842, but also, the occasional model 1898 rifle.

It is all academic, when it is a 'drilled & tapped' Krag and not a candidate for restoration.

IP Logged

Tx63S80
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Thank you all for the responses. I like the idea of the original site, I do have the scope and plate. Monoscope 4x32 A few more pics

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Nuts, I was hoping you had a carbine with a lots of parts worth a bazillion.
The carbine configuration is very handy and number of members have been sprucing up or building faux carbines from parts. No intention to defraud anyone, a faux carbine looks so nice if done well and yours has that look. Family heirloom and useful if you have an excuse to go hunting. 

IP Logged

Tx63S80
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
I entered this in the registry before I posted, I believed it fell in the carbine range. I put a magnifying glass on the model#, it's struck clean and I can see the bottom tail of the nine. I'm not interested in establishing value as much as determining how it was born.

I'm attaching a screen shot from the registry, what does "third block" mean?

Based on production numbers from gun-data.com, there were no M1899 rifles. Is this incorrect? Would they have used left over rifle stock to build the late 1901 production year carbines?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
IMHO - Model date does not influence value, if a Krag receiver has been drilled & tapped.

Model 1898 and model 1899 receivers are identical, except for the date.
Model 1899 receivers were intended to be carbines. Some carbines exist with receivers marked 1898 over-stamped 1899.

Some rifles exist with model 1899 marked receivers; there is uncertainty about the manufacture, (why, when, or who).

Measuring your barrel length from muzzle/crown to closed bolt-face, exactly, with a cleaning rod is a good clue to possible origin. A carbine barrel will be exactly 22 inches.

If a short barrel is even a fraction longer than 22 inches, it is a "cut-down" rifle barrel.

If I understand correctly, "Blocks" is a reference to the occasional periods, when Armory production was devoted to manufacturing a batch of carbines.

Krags were not manufactured in numerical order. Finished/numbered receivers went into parts bins to be randomly pulled for assembly.
Model 1898 and model 1899 serial numbers can intermix to some extent.
(Likely, the model-date 'stamp' was put on at a different time then serial number 'stamp').

Rifle stocks were not used to make model 1899 carbine stocks near the end of production.

In the mid-1920's, Benicia Arsenal was shortening Krag rifles for NRA member sales. These were cut to carbine length, put in a carbine stock, and fitted with 1903 Springfield front-sights. When the supply of carbine stocks was exhausted, rifle stocks cut to carbine length, were utilized. (BTW - I don't think your Krag is one of these "NRA/DCM carbines).
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2020 at 12:07am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Tx63S80
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2020 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Thank you! The barrel length is about a 1/4" over 22" I'm curious about the red dot but for now I'll put the scope back on find a couple boxes ammo.

My dad, he's alive and well at 80, acquired the gun in the early 60's from an officer at Fort Carson. I hope to have the chance to take him to the range soon.

Thanks to all for the input.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint