Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Now for something completely different (Read 1454 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Now for something completely different
Jul 7th, 2020 at 4:25am
Print Post  
A few years back, I purchased a French Berthier rifle with a 'cut-down' stock.
I quickly obtained a missing action-screw to get it in shooting condition. Range results were promising, but, I shot up all my ammo and put the rifle on the 'back burner'.

I finally found a front barrel-band last year.
I recently gave up on finding a complete stock and bought a large piece of walnut and have started making a replacement forearm (to splice under the rear barrel-band).

I ordered some supplies from Graff's, last week, and a set of Lee "8X50R Lebel" Dies, 8mm bullets & brass (PPU), arrived today.

I will update as things progress.

BTW - I don't have any trouble seeing the Berthier's front "blade"!

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2020 at 2:46pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Culpeper
KCA Forum Member

Re: Now for something completely different
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 6:28am
Print Post  
Good.  Another Berthier fan.  What bullets are you using?  I have never shot my Remington 07/15 even though I have three cases of ammo.  When I do shoot it up I want to know what the correct diameter bullet I need to purchase.

Stock up now before you need it is my mantra.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of People Eating Tasty Animals (PETA).  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Cat Man
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Another closet 8MM Lebel Berthier shooter speaks out.

For a long time I have scrounged the odd (old) partial box of Remington UMC ammo at gun shows. Pulled them apart for the brass and 170 Gr 8MM factory bullets. Tried the 198 Gr BTHP bullets for the Military load. Yikes! way to stiff for my liking especially in the carbine.

Working on cast bullet load with an old Lyman mold I have. This is two 5 shoot groups with the Berthier Carbine.

IP Logged

AFJuvat
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
The stockpile of Balle-N bullets I have measure out at 0.3275" (8.32mm)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2020 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
I have had an interest in the Berthier, since my teen years, when a friend inherited a three-shot Ste. Etienne made carbine.
We never got to fire it because the ammo was a collector's item. But, the petite carbine was a cool piece of machining and fun to handle!

I never fired an arm, chambered for the 8X50R cartridge, until the Prvi Partisan factory ammo came onto the U.S. market.
The Prvi (Full Metal Jacket) factory rounds, I have measured, appear to have a .327" projectile.

In the last 12 years, I have owned and fired a couple of nice Berthier carbines, which I 'flipped' for a good profit.

I briefly had a 'cut-down' (Remington made) Berthier rifle that was too altered for 'reasonable' restoration. I sold it, for what I paid.

My project Berthier rifle was built at Chatellerault, in 1917. Although the rifle received the (post WW-1) "N" chamber alteration, it has proved to be the most accurate Berthier, I have fired.

The Prvi 198 grain soft-nosed projectiles, I purchased, are measuring a maximum diameter of .325". It remains to be seen, how they perform. This is my first experience reloading this cartridge.

Although a .325" diameter bullet appears to be undersized for French rifle bores, on the "Gunboards Forum", knowledgeable participants have reported good success and accuracy with .323" diameter bullets of U.S. manufacture.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2020 at 3:34am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Capt. Frank
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
"Now for something completely different", obviously a Monty Python fan.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
I slugged the bore of my Berthier, today. The four-groove rifling measures .318" from Land to Land and .329" from Groove to Groove.

We'll see how the Prvi .325" diameter (jacketed-SP) projectile performs.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2020 at 11:43pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint