Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Captain S. H. Ottenhausen (Read 5813 times)
Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Captain S. H. Ottenhausen
Reply #15 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 11:27am
Print Post  
I did not pick up on the monument being the site of the Lincoln-Douglas debate. Nor did I know that TR dedicated it. Wow, right underneath my nose, too. The monument is on a different foundation and I'm not sure how close it is to the original location. But, yes, the houses are gone and there is quite a bit of space around the monument. It is next to an old-timey ice cream parlor where there is great expectation every Spring when it opens (well, delayed this year, of course). Freeport takes much pride in it being a debate site.

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2020 at 2:18am by Knute1 »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #16 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 3:12am
Print Post  
The setting appears prettier in 1903!
Since the monument marked the site of the Famous Debate, when Lincoln posed the historic "Dilemma Question", that two-ton stone has not likely been moved very far.

Reading some of the material supplied by Fred G., I see that, the 6th Illinois N.G. Regiment was shipped from Springfield, Ill. to Camp Alger in Northern Virginia.

They bivouacked at Camp Alger, near Washington D.C., until being transported to Santiago, Cuba, and from there to Puerto Rico.
I would hazard to guess, the 6th Illinois N.G. was issued 'Trap-Door' Springfield rifles, at Camp Alger for the Cuba Campaign. When they embarked for Puerto Rico, they likely were issued Krag magazine rifles in Cuba.

I have a paper bond book on Camp Alger, which is an interesting read. Two of the Michigan Regiments, (33rd Mich. and 34th Mich.), also were sent to Camp Alger. They had a shorter stay in Virginia and got to Cuba in time to see some action.

This interesting book has references to the 6th Illinois N.G., but not, Co. L or Simon Ottenhausen specifically.

I have attached some content for everyone's enjoyment:

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #17 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 3:42am
Print Post  
More "City of Canvas" stuff:

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #18 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 3:51am
Print Post  
The 6th Mass. and 6th Illinois left Camp Alger on the same date, July 5, 1898, headed for Santiago, Cuba.

Arriving in Cuba, after the surrender of Santiago, both of these regiments were, subsequently, sent to invade Puerto Rico, likely re-equipped with Krag rifles.
(The land campaign in Puerto Rico lasted from July 25 to August 13, 1898, Ceasefire).

Attached pictures show a young 6th Mass. Soldier, (C.J. Duffy, Co. "C"), who went to Puerto Rico. He has a Krag, tropical uniform, and Spanish 'cockade' on his campaign hat.
(I saved this photo from off an ebay listing, a few years back).
A detail from a picture, (from "City of Canvass"), showing the 6th Mass leaving Camp Alger for Cuba with T-D Springfield rifles.
The Mass'. men seem to favor the 'Montana Peak' on their hats:
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2020 at 8:16pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #19 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 10:51am
Print Post  
That is some good stuff. Thanks

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #20 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Wow!

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #21 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Revisiting Co. L Ill. N.G. photo:

This photo had to be taken after the 1903 Dedication by President Theodore Roosevelt.

In the "Co. L" photo, the small plaque noting the 1903 Dedication is present.
I cropped the "T.R. Dedication" Photo from 1903 and the sub-plaque is absent.

FWIW - Some of the members of "Co. L" appear mighty small! I wonder if they are not military school cadets and some liberties were taken with the caption?

IP Logged

Knute1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #22 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 3:28am
Print Post  
I'm afraid BR may be right about the photo being mislabeled. By mistake or otherwise. But here is a photo of returning Spanish American War soldiers from Stephenson County Illinois, which Freeport is the county seat. Perhaps Simon Ottenhausen is in this photo.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #23 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 4:29am
Print Post  
Neat picture find! That is the photograph taken on September 21, 1898, as described in the Link posted by Fred G.

When Company L arrived back at Freeport by train, (after a period of quarantine, I'm sure), they were greeted at the station by dignitaries and the Band, paraded up town, and posed for a unit photograph at "the old German Insurance Company Building".

FWIW - There are three officers in the center of this photograph. Captain Kling is likely in the middle with 'decorations', bracketed by 1st Lt. Ottenhausen and 2nd Lt. Yount.

(Lots of German families in Freeport, Ill., in 1898).
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2020 at 5:54am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint