Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1898 Krag rear sights (Read 4238 times)
cwbuff
Ex Member

1898 Krag rear sights
May 19th, 2003 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
The newbie is back for question #2.  My '98 Krag rifle has a ladder adjustable rear sight with a slide that is used for shorter distances when the ladder is down (looks like there are 3 through 6 marks on the body of the rear sight) and longer distances (7 through whatever marked on the ladder itself) when the ladder is elevated.  Questions:

1.  I understand there were several variants of rear sights mounted on Krags.  How can I verify that this is the correct one for my rifle?

2.  How does one adjust for windage?  My front sight is a fixed blade and I can't determine how to adjust the rear sight?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Krag rear sights
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2003 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
It sounds like you have a Model '96 rear sight. The lack of windage adjustment was one of its down falls! To verify go to the photo section of our home page, toward the bottom of the photo page is a comparison of M'96 sights. Then repost which sight you have and your full serial number and someone here should be able to help.
Good luck,
Ned

IP Logged

cwbuff
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2003 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Ned, thanks for the pointer to the Photo page.  It is indeed an 1896 rear sight.  My rifle is serial number 248187 and based on a check I did, was manufactured in 1899.

IP Logged

Richard_Sherman
KCA Official Member

Live Free or Die

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2003 at 3:36am
Print Post  
Another volley from an 1896 sight fan:

Windage adjustment is just a gimmick for shooting paper targets on the range and horses at 800 yards. Smiley
It just has little practical value for a dirt soldier who is trying to save his butt from the Moro who is 5 yards away with a Kris or a Bolo in his hand.

Keep up the fire.

Richard Sherman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo