Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Potential Restoration project..... (Read 2107 times)
K._Funk
KCA Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Potential Restoration project.....
Jun 7th, 2003 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Hi all, I'm new to the board, but have been lurking for a while.  I got through my first 1898 project just by reading here.  I now have another potential project.  The local American Legion has 2 1894 dated Krags with 1896 modifications.  Both rifles have 4 digit serial numbers.  They appear to be complete and functional.  The only problem is that the stocks are painted white and all metal is chrome plated.  I have already started discussions about aquiring the rifles but need a lot more info, ie the value of the rifles as-is, the potential for a proper restoration, the cost of such a restoration and what the value of the rifles would be following restoration.  I would also need to come up with 2 replacement parade rifles, since they still use these in their parades.  Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

krf

IP Logged

Uechi
KCA Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Potential Restoration project.....
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2003 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
I just talk to a guy in Florida who is selling a Model 1898 Krag that his father had gotten from the American Legion. It too was painted white. His father stripped the paint off and the natural red Walnut looks fine ( I saw photo's. ) I would try using Acetone. It should clean the paint off and not leave any gummy residue like some other paint cleaners can. Try a small spot with a Qtip and see what happens. As far as the Chrome goes I don't think it is practical to try and remove it. I believe the only way you might be able to do it would be by reverse electrolysis and that would probably be expensive.

Jeff Dromm

IP Logged

gunbarrel
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2003 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Be careful.  Unless the rifles were donated by private individuals to the Post, they do not belong to the Post to sell.  They were allocated by the U.S. Army for Post use, and they are supposed to be returned when there is no further use for them.  This is a common mistake (to think that the rifles were given to the Post and therefore belong to the Post), and there have been instances in recent years where the Army has actually checked to see if the rifles (usually M1's, 1903 Springfields and Model 1917's--not sure about Krags) are still there.

IP Logged

Uechi
KCA Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2003 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Never heard of this applying to Krags. I suppose you could check but I doubt very seriously that the US Army is going to pursue 100+ year old rifles that haven't been in service since the 1st World War. If I had an opportunity to buy at a good price I would jump at it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo