Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
BO&F? (Read 2107 times)
Bob_S
KCA Forum Member

BO&F?
Nov 16th, 2009 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Reading about Dick's new "find" made me think back about a million years ago when I was in PG school at MIT ( it was really only 1980-83, but it seems like a million years ago) ... the club that I was shooting with had teams in the Eastern Mass. League.  It was all 200 yards standing on your hind legs, any center fire rifle with iron sights.  A "old" gentleman on our team shot a "sporterized" Krag with cast bullets.  He was probably about 60 ... that doesn't seem "old" to me anymore!  The rifle was in a sporter stock, probably Herters or Fajen; with the Redfield 70KT rear sight (the one that attaches with a long side plate screw and clamp in the cut-off hole).  What was unusual about it, enough for me to notice at the time, was the barrel was obviously longer than a carbine barrel, but not long enough for a 30" infantry rifle, and the front sight looked like the issue Krag sight, as did the crown.  At the time, I didn't know what a BO&F rifle was, I just thought it was "odd" in that it was a little shorter than my infantry rifles.  So now I wonder if I was looking at a BO&F.  If no one has tinkered with it since, it would be as restorable as Dick's.

And I wonder where that rifle might be today.  Hmmm ...

Resp'y,
Bob.

P.S.  Dick, I checked my box ... I have 2 M1901 Carbine sghts (counting the one on the Winder musket), and four regular M1901 rifle sights that are not currently attached to anything.  No "odd" ones with the even numbers on the right.  Sorry ......

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: BO&F?
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2009 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Thanks for checking, Bob.

Interesting story - and not at all implausible. Before I changed the wood, I swung the 26" barreled "carbine" around a bit. It was NOT too long for a hunting rifle, at all. Wouldn't be the handiest length in brush, perhaps, but just fine for open country. Who knows - there MUST be more than 19 left out of the 100 - perhaps sporters should get a little closer attention on the gun-show tables!

IP Logged

Bob_S
KCA Forum Member

Re: BO&F?
Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2009 at 4:54am
Print Post  
This guy was not a hunter.  Like me, he was strictly a target shooter.  I can tell you (since I did actually get to fire the rifle) that for standing on your hind legs and shooting at the SR target at 200 yards, with cast bullets, it balenced just perfect and would punish the X and ten rings if you held hard and learned to follow through.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo