Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag Bayonet (Read 2748 times)
Billo
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag Bayonet
Nov 25th, 2009 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
I purchased what looks to be a modified Krag bayonet.  The blade looks like a Cadet model.  It is 8 3/4" long, has two edges, and is marked 1899 and US.  The metal scabbard has been shortened straight across to 9" and does not come to a point.  The wire belt loop moves 45 degrees.  12.  N.Y has been stamped on one side of the wood grips and D 28 on the other.  The rivets are flush.  The button has been removed and the word NAPPY has been stamped into the metal below the missing button.  The overall length from top of hanger to bottom of scabbard is 14".  The whole thing has been painted Military green.  Does this bayonet sound familiar?  Thanks
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2009 at 2:47pm by Billo »  

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Krag Bayonet
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Cadet bayonets have properly formed blades, with a stopped fuller, and the scabbards are correctly pointed. The bayonets are rare, but the scabbards show up occasionally.

Seriously, and NO offense is meant, but that has to be about the saddest (to me) Krag bayonet I've ever seen. I HOPE you did not give big bucks for it, believing it was some rare variation!

Appears as if some bubba made hisself a huntin nife!

IP Logged

Billo
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Bayonet
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
No offense taken.  I got this bayonet in a group with four other knives off ebay.  They had put a German dress bayonet in this scabbard for some reason.  I did not know anything about the Krags until now, so it has been worth the price to do the research.  I read that the New York National Guard was given some Krags.  With the markings on the grips, could this be a chopped up bayonet from then?  Thanks for the info.  Bill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo