Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Model 1897 Steyr (Read 6243 times)
hfreyer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Model 1897 Steyr
Dec 28th, 2009 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
I have an old rifle that was given to me several years ago.  It has Steyr and 1897 on the receiver upper band.  It has the classic Krag action and has the serial number 359xx.  There than that there are several arsenal type marks like crowns.  I can not really find this gun in any books.  I was told that it was probably an M1894 model.  Unfornatuately, someone converted the gun to a sporter stock before I received it.  Can someone tell me anything about this gun?

IP Logged

stevie
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Model 1897 Steyr
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2010 at 6:54am
Print Post  
Sounds like a Norwegian M1894 Lang-Krag.  A batch of 33,000 was made at Steyr in 1896-1897 for Norway army, along with a smaller batch for Norway civil marksman organization.  Chambered 6.5x55 with long round-nose bullet originally.  Stronger than US krag as bolt handle should bear as 2nd locking lug.  Some low numbered rifles known to have bypassed Norway inspection markings and gone to Boers in time for Boer war -- but your SN most likely was for Norway.  See Wikipedia KRAG article. 

IP Logged

hfreyer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2010 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
It has two locking lugs.  One small one on the end of the bolt and a long one on the side that locks at the rear.  I am trying to find an original stock, because someone sporterized this one.  The barrel is original length with the bayonte lug.

IP Logged

dmg4
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2010 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
You can contact a gentleman named Håvard in Norway.  His PM/forum name is 'mussonor'.  He can either find a stock for you or make one from scratch.  Expect to pay something between $200 and 350 for a stock and handguard, and about $25 for hardware, and $50 for shipping.

Uncut stocks are very rare, but you might find one on eBay or gunbroker.com.  Again, it probably won't go cheaply if more than one person is bidding.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2010 at 7:22pm by KCA Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo