Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
I.D. rear sight on a Krag (Read 2579 times)
vonfatman
KCA Forum Member

I like guns!

I.D. rear sight on a Krag
Oct 23rd, 2010 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
A friend has a Krag for sale and I thought I'd take a look...it has what he calls a "climin' Lyman" rear peep-sight. (see pic)

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

S/N 70627

Carbine config.

Thanks.  Bob

"Onward thru the Fog"

IP Logged

5MadFarmers
Ex Member

Re: I.D. rear sight on a Krag
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 12:46am
Print Post  
He included more pictures in the ad at Gunbroker.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

vonfatman
KCA Forum Member

I like guns!

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Mr. 5MadFarmers,
Yes, as of yesterday there were no bidders and he has offered to pull the gun (if there were no bidders) and sell the gun to me if I was interested.  He's been a friend over the years and he read (another forum) that I was interested in a military (non-sporterized) Krag.  He told me he thought it was pretty complete, but was not sure about the rear sight.

Anyway...

Would an unaltered Krag have such a sight?  Would the armory have installed it?  Would they (the Armory) have removed the saddle ring/parts?  I'm not interested in the gun if it's going to be a project.  I would prefer to buy a gun that is as it was produced at the Armory.  All I have now are a couple sporterized Krags that I'd move out if I could locate a reasonably priced (and original) Krag that has a decent bore (I want one to shoot, not a safe queen).

Thanks to any one who can help me with this...If I can not get my questions answered, I'll pass on the gun and keep looking.  I'm such a novice on Krags (I've not yet picked up any books) that I'd rather pass than buy/end up with a gun that's not full-blown military.  My buddy is not an expert either.

Bob

"Onward thru the Fog"

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2010 at 6:30am
Print Post  
That gun is no longer in military condition. The armory did not install such sights. In fact, I THINK that particular sight requires that some wood be cut-away, thus making it impossible to return the stock to as-issued configuration, even if you were to replace the missing metal parts, and, the correct military rear sight for that model (M1896C) is a $500+ item!  If you want a virgin, walk away, and, before you go any further - BUY THE BOOK!!!!!!!!! (the North Cape Krag book is NOT perfect, but you cannot do any better for $20).

IP Logged

vonfatman
KCA Forum Member

I like guns!

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2010 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Mr. Hosmer,
Thank you.  Last night I ordered/purchased a used copy of "The Krag Rifle" by William Brophy and a new copy of "The American Krag Rifle & Carbine" (the North Cape Krag book) by Joe Poyer.  I'm tempted to pick up "The Krag Rifle Story - 2nd Ed." if I can find a decent price on one.

I really appreciate your help and I'm sorry  that I got to asking questions prior to getting some "grounding" in Krag rifles.  This particular gun came up before I had any books to help me find answers.  I will have plenty of reading to keep me busy by next weekend! 

Have a great week.

Bob

"Onward thru the Fog"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo