Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
can you help me ID this krag? (Read 2989 times)
historyguy1000
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

can you help me ID this krag?
Oct 26th, 2010 at 5:07am
Print Post  
Please let me know if this is stock, original, worth anything, history etc...

Not looking to sell, actually looking for accessories (bayonet, sling, etc...).  Thank you

S/N:  215601
only cartouche is "P" behind trigger guard

Thank you so much

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: can you help me ID this krag?
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
That's not a lot to go on, but it is a U.S. Model 1898 Rifle, made around 1899/1900 (don't have my books at hand, but I know that 200722 is 1899) and what you have shown appears to be perfectly proper.

Value: $600-800 from what I see - that could go down (significantly) or up (a little) depending on what the rest of the gun looks like.

Bayonets, with scabbard, are around $150-$200, with slings around $100. The bayonets are dated, so you want one that matches - neither date is "rare", so that should not be a problem.

Check out (You need to Login to view media files and links) and search for "Krag". you'll get about 7 pages of stuff.

IP Logged

historyguy1000
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 3:26am
Print Post  
I really appreciate your feedback.  Here is another pic if it helps.  I have a few more but can only post one at a time I believe...

Again, it has the "P" cartouche and the "U" stamp on the band.  it seems solid, bolt is smooth. few dings/dents throughout the stock...

Thanks again for your help!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
That is the Model 1902 sight, which is the same as that on my 200722.

Is there a little peep sight that swivels up, on the back of the eyepiece? Most M1902 sights have it - those without are a bit more desirable.

Almost any Krag rear sight is "correct" on an 1898 rifle - they went through a lot of changes and overhauls. The test is that the finish color and wear should match the rest of the rifle.

IP Logged

historyguy1000
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 4:49am
Print Post  
Mr. Hosmer,

It appears to have the swivel peep sight you spoke of. I attached a pic.  Im confused.  If the 215xxx seriel number puts it at 1899 (like yours) how is there a 1902 sight on it?  Does it reduce the value or let me know its been modified?

Color or patina matches the other parts

thanks again

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
"Almost any Krag rear sight is "correct" on an 1898 rifle - they went through a lot of changes and overhauls."

It is a VERY long story, involving such things as a bitter political battle between two ordnance department officers, some unintentionally (due to weather!) overloaded ammunition, inability to manufacture replacemnts in a timely manner, and just plain choice and/or chance. In SOME cases it is possible to determine what sight SHOULD have been on the rifle as made, in others it is not so clear.

The collector attitude today seems to be that if the sight appears to match for color and wear, is fastened with un-buggered screws, has the proper matching handguard, and does not egregiously violate any of the known parameters, the rifle is "accepted" without $$$$ penalty.

I see nothing "wrong" with your gun. Supposedly, all rifles being put into 'final' storage, when rendered obsolete by the '03, had their sights changed (if not already so equipped) to either the M1901 or M1902 rear sight.

IP Logged

historyguy1000
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Good to know!

And thanks again Sir, I appreciate your input!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo