Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Need help on 1898 Krag rifle. (Read 1897 times)
coverga
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Need help on 1898 Krag rifle.
Jul 23rd, 2011 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Rifle is 1898 Krag, 1896 rear sight, correct front sight, full barrel, stock good with P behind trigger guard but no cartouche, bore shiny with fair to good rifling.  Appears to be original configuration, but the bolt and receiver look like they were blued.  Blue job not recent, very well done, has its own patina.  Could this be an arsenal bluing?  Owner wants 500, is this reasonable.  Can bluing be "reversed" or just leave it alone if I buy it?  Much obliged for any opinions.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Need help on 1898 Krag rifle.
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 4:24am
Print Post  
That's probably a "fair" price - definitely no amazing steal, but not a rip-off, either. What is the serial number? Is it low enough for the M1896 sight to be "correct"?

I'd carefully polish the stripped bolt body (only - don't polish any of the bolt parts) and just leave the receiver to age on its' own. When the rifles were refinished by the army, they were blued, as opposed to renewing/redoing the original oil-casehardening.

IP Logged

coverga
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Serial number is 168xxx.  The bluing on the magazine, and side plate look very much like the bluing on the barrel, and trigger guard, same tone, same condition.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2011 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
That's early enough - so, I'll stick with my initial comment, just polish the bolt body - satin finish, not mirror bright.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo