Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Rear receiver sight (Read 4747 times)
Papascull
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Rear receiver sight
Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:24am
Print Post  
I have a 1898 Benecia carbine conversion. I have had it for many years. When I bought it someone had drilled two holes the receiver for a receiver sight (Lyman, Redfield, etc.) Angry. Well, he drilled over a number for the serial number...almost two. The sight had then been removed and two thread plugs were installed. Spoo, now the serial number is not legit able... Is there going to be a problem for me? This modification is Very old, before serial numbers were really an issue. Sad I have NO desire to get rid of this carbine, it is about 98 percent condition with a mint rifling bore. Help please. John
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2011 at 1:19am by Papascull »  

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Rear receiver sight
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Common sense, due to the fact that the number loss was - apparently - done for legitimate reasons, and long prior practice would dictate that - certainly if you are keeping it - that there should be no problem whatsoever, especially if the number is below the antique cut-off, which is around 152000. There are laws about defaced and removed serial numbers, but I do not believe any reasonable person would apply them to your (quite common) plight. I'm not an attorney, but I'd think you should be OK.

However, having said that, with the pack of thugs we presently have for a government, I'd say that anything is theoretically possible, right down to the worst case of an ATF storm-trooper kicking down your door, confiscating the rifle, and jailing you. There is no telling what the present administration will try to do to firearms owners by executive decree. We must clean house in 2012. An Obama unfettered by reelection concerns (unless he abolished the two-term limit!) would be a total disaster for gun-owners.

Sorry for the rant - but see how a totally innocent act can possibly lead to trouble.

IP Logged

mjanway
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I have the same issue.  Was drilled for a scope mount.  I can hazard a pretty good guess at the numbers affected.  I did ask a state trooper about it and he told me that there are a lot easier ways of removing serial numbers than with a drill and tapping.  He told me not to worry about it.  Of course, that is here.

IP Logged

5MadFarmers
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Quote:
§ 478.34 Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.

No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

I wouldn't sweat it.  Missing a digit isn't an attempt to remove, obliterate, or alter.  Might be an issue if you try to sell it but just owning it shouldn't be a big deal.  If it really bugs you the ATF can electro-pencil a new one on or peddle it to the Mexicans for you.

IP Logged

Papascull
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I checked the serial number and it is 1256x1, with the "x" being the number that is not available to read. I guess that makes it pretty old. Any idea what year it was made, my Krag book is put away. Thanks, John  Cool    It looks as though my Krag is a "non-firearm" in accordance with the BATFE ruling as to what is a firearm and what is an antique via it's serial number. Coorect me if I am wrong, but the one number missing is now a non issue!  Shocked Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2011 at 2:35am by Papascull »  

IP Logged

6mmintl
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Just a heads up guys, I have an "As New" Lyman 48K Krag sight for sale if interested. let me know hole spacing for a double check if it will fit.

IP Logged

Papascull
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2011 at 1:51am
Print Post  
How much do you want for it? Does it mount on the left (serial#) side? And are the screws not perfectly in line with one another? Thanks- John Scull

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo