Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Identification assistance? (Read 5369 times)
Matt
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Identification assistance?
Jul 5th, 2011 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Hello!  Thanks in advance for any help - I've searched myself silly online, and can't seem to find any experts locally to help me.

I have a Krag, inherited from my late father, and was hoping somebody here could assist me in identifying it; here's all the info I've got:

The Serial No. is 33296
The gun says it was made in Copenhagen (gevaerfabriken kjobenhavn) in 1892.  Under this, there's a line with "m. 88."

I've been looking all over online for similar or identical pieces, and though several look "close", none of them seem to be *quite* the same kind of gun...it seems like a lot of references are made to 1892s being made in the US, which doesn't jive with the Copenhagen reference on the gun itself.

Any information *very* much appreciated!
Thanks so much, Matt.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Identification assistance?
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2011 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
MATT:  You have a Danish Krag.  Three countries adopted variations of the Krag Jorgenson:  Denmark, The United States, and Norway.  Go to the Krag Collectors Assoc. main page and click on the tab marked "photos".  You can then scroll down and see some photos of Danish Krags.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 3:09am
Print Post  
Matt:  It would be neat if you could post photos of your Danish rifle.  If its a Krag-Jorgensen, I'm guessing the Model marking is actually "m.89" and not "88".  Photos would allow others to give you a lot more info. on what you have.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Matt:  The Danish Krags were chambered for a cartridge now called 8x58RD (rimmed Danish).  This 8mm cartridge was loaded by Norma at one time.  It may be a custom reloading proposition now.

IP Logged

mauserdad
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 2:17am
Print Post  
You can by ammo from Buffalo Arms but it is expensive. I think I paid $87 shipped for 20rds. There are two types of cases that have different rim base thickness. My Krag uses the .060, made from 45-70 brass. There is also a .070 which I understand is typical for the Danish Rolling Block rifle. Hope this helps.

mauserdad
NRA Life Member
John 3-16 & 17 KJAV 1611

IP Logged

6mmintl
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

8x58RD brass
Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
I have two swedish rolling block rifle in 8x58RD and I use 8x56r Steyr bass, I just load a 150 grain bullet jacketed or cast in the std. case and fireform.  It will chamber easily as originally formed for the Steyr M95, I also use the Steyr Lee 205 grain cast bullet .329" and gas check and size to .327

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2011 at 1:40am
Print Post  
I also reload for my Danish Krags in 8x58R.  I have used different cases like resized 45-70, 7.62x54R and 8x56R.  I am currently using the 8x56R and am happy with them.  I am currently waiting on a back order from Buffalo Arms.

Best regards,
Tom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo