Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag 30-40 in my Collection (Read 3360 times)
dandev
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag 30-40 in my Collection
Aug 15th, 2011 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Dear Sir; I am new to this Forum and I need information on my 30-40 Krag Rifle.
I can't seem to find anything on it---Can you help?
The information on it as follows:
Model 1898---I think---Because at one time it had a Scope mounted to the Leftside of the Bolt and one of the screws obstructed the Model Year so I can only make out it as Model 189?. Made at the Springfield Armory. Serial Number is somewhat faded but readable as: Serial Number 1877_8 OR Serial Number 1377_8? The second number is faded so I assume it is either a 8 or a 3. This is all I have to go on. I contacted the Armory itself but no luck. It is in excellant condition and never fired. Side loading for 6 to 8 rounds of ammunation. Only missing is the Cleaning rod from the back end of the gun stock. No Scope attched. Front site needs repaired the weld on it broke but can be reattached. I hope this information is of some help in trying to get me some information as to its History. Thank you for your time.
Dan DeVite---Masury, OH

IP Logged

fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag 30-40 in my Collection
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 12:00am
Print Post  
You will probably hear from others much smarter than me, but your post raises at least two very red flags: (1) the fact that holes have been drilled and tapped for a scope removes all collector value (2) front sights were not welded on--they were inserted into a tight-fitting dovetail.

How long is your barrel?  You say it is unfired, but why do you say that?  I'm betting with a welded front sight and scope mounting holes it has certainly been fired.

You may indeed have a nice rifle, although not from a collector's standpoint it appears.  You need to post photos if you would like more detailed infomation.

daveboy

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
It has to be a Model 1898, because of the serial number - change from the Model 1896 occurred at around 109000 - that saves us having to describe the bolt differences.   Smiley

The magazine itself holds 5 rounds, not 6 or 8, but a sixth round could be carried in the chamber.

Have NO idea why so many people claim their guns are "unfired". Very nice condition is one thing, unfired is quite another. How long is the barrel? Original length was 30". The front sight was brazed into that (very shallow) dovetail mentioned above.

IP Logged

pipat4
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 4:29am
Print Post  
It is so much good information and knowledge as to what is a good thing too much.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)- (You need to Login to view media files and links)- (You need to Login to view media files and links)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo