Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Important question on my M1896 Krag Rifle (Read 1938 times)
Old gun Shooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Important question on my M1896 Krag Rifle
Sep 26th, 2011 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Hello Everybody, I am new to the forum and am happy to be here.  I had purchased a Krag rifle from a pawn shop five months ago and am very pleased with it, its a great shooter.  From what I can gather this gun is in excellent shape 90% and is %100 all original.

I have one question for you all, this has been bothering me quite a bit.  The metal loop ring that holds the stock and barrel together, right in the middle of the full rifle.  Every time I would shoot the ring would come out of place and move freely.  There is a lanyard ring in the middle of it, original I guess.  Would it be possible to remove the lanyard ring, when tightening there is no slack what so ever.  Just wanted to know if that would be harmful or not to the gun when shooting, thanks guys.

IP Logged

tanker
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Important question on my M1896 Krag Rifle
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
From the rear of the rifle on the right side of the lower stock there should be a pin with a rounded head that retains the barrel band on the rifle configuration. If that pin is worn down and or pushed in to far it will allow the band to move when firing. The presence ofg the pin may be obscured by finish and hard to see but if the stock is original it is there. The solution IMO, is to replace or push the pin out from the opposite side until it once again gives purchase to the barrel band. I would not recommend over tightening the band sans the sling swivel as it might put undue pressure on the stock and fracture it. The carbine stocks used a barrel band retention spring to accomplish the same thing as the pin did on the rifles. Good luck

IP Logged

fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
What tanker said.

But, if you don't want to have to worry about driving out the pin and possibly marring your stock, you should simply be able to apply some nice, sticky duct tape inside the band.  Apply the sticky side of the tape to the metal.  Then, with a very sharp razor blade slice the excess tape off that extends past the band.  This should tighten it up unless it is really, really loose.

IP Logged

Old gun Shooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Tanker I did a little more investigation to what you were saying.  If I move the metal band I can see a little hole in the stock, where the band goes, I can see all the way through to the other side.  Is this what you are talking about, if so The small pin is missing.

IP Logged

tanker
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
That is exactly what I was referring to. Now all you have to do is find a good strong piece of steel that diameter+ (for a snug fit) and fab one up. Make sure the exposed end is well rounded over and maybe hit it with a little cold blue and you've got it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo