Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 New Member, and "New" Krag! (Read 10181 times)
Brian Carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New Member, and "New" Krag!
Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Actually, I owned a sweet Krag about 20 years ago, but stupidly sold it (and have kicked myself repeatedly since!)....

Anyways, I picked up this "sporter" at a gunshow recently.  It's a M1898, serial #482520, 22" bbl, cut-down military stock with clear cartouches, Pacific receiver sight installed.

The most unique aspect is that it has the Hart Arms Co. magazine conversion, with the hinged flat side plate replacing the original box mag.

Paid $300.00 for it.  What can you tell me about a '98 with such a high serial number?

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Brian

Port Crane, NY

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Member, and "New" Krag!
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Brian:  That is an attractive "Sporter" you obtained that has probably served a few hunters over the years.  The magazine conversion would usually be a real 'turn-off' to me but your nice pictures show the clever latch system and the Hart Conversion stamping on the cover.  Sporter Conversions are a legitimate, but subjective, part of the Krag Story.  Is it possible the second digit of your Serial Number is a '3' or '6' and not an '8'?  Sometimes deeply stamped digits are misread on Krag receivers.  Number 482520 seems too high and outside most references. What style of front sight does your Krag have?  Let us know how well that Hart magazine conversion works when you take your Krag to the Range.  Chuck

IP Logged

Brian Carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 12:32am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Jan 26th, 2012 at 11:47pm:
Brian:  That is an attractive "Sporter" you obtained that has probably served a few hunters over the years.  The magazine conversion would usually be a real 'turn-off' to me but your nice pictures show the clever latch system and the Hart Conversion stamping on the cover.  Sporter Conversions are a legitimate, but subjective, part of the Krag Story.  Is it possible the second digit of your Serial Number is a '3' or '6' and not an '8'?  Sometimes deeply stamped digits are misread on Krag receivers.  Number 482520 seems too high and outside most references. What style of front sight does your Krag have?  Let us know how well that Hart magazine conversion works when you take your Krag to the Range.  Chuck

Thanks, Chuck.  The Hart conversion took me aback when I first looked at it, but since the gun is sporterized anyways I've decided I quite like the unique feature.  It sure does streamline the rifle!
The "8" in the serial number is not deeply struck, and that's definitely what it is...!  Undecided

Brian

Port Crane, NY

IP Logged

knute
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Brian,
I'm curious of how many cartridges that can be carried in the magazine with the conversion. Just curious. Interesting specimen, thanks for showing.

IP Logged

Brian Carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
knute wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 2:43am:
Brian,
I'm curious of how many cartridges that can be carried in the magazine with the conversion. Just curious. Interesting specimen, thanks for showing.

The magazine now holds only 3 rounds.  With one in the chamber, that's sufficient for hunting purposes, I reckon!

Here's a pic of the front sight.  Is it a military sight?  It has a small capital "M" stamped on the left side.

The barrel has some markings just behind this sight: what appears to be a flaming ordnance bomb, with "12-36" stamped underneath....

Brian

Port Crane, NY

IP Logged

Brian Carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
BTW, the cartouche is dated 1900, but when I enter the serial number at this website, a manufacture date of 1904 is shown:

So, I'm baffled by all that...!   Huh

Brian

Port Crane, NY

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Nothing baffling at all, really.

The barrel and front sight are from a 1903 Springfield, made in December of 1936 (which, coincidentally gives us a "not before" time frame for the sporterizing).

The Krag stock selected for the final assembly by the unknown gunsmith was not the one originally on the Krag rifle when it was made. The most interesting part of the arm, by far, is the commercial flush magazine conversion. It looks quite nice, should be a fun shooter.

As to the serial number, I own 482440, and even higher ones are known - close to 490000, IIRC.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Brian:  It is likely the gunsmith, who created your Krag Sporter, put a decent looking cut-down rifle stock on her.  It is not surprizing if this is not the original stock.  Maybe your High # Receiver was never assembled into a completed rifle at Springfield Armory?  Your barrel appears to be a 1903 Springfield barrel manufactured in December, 1936.  It was common practice for gunsmiths to replace bad Krag barrels with '03 Springfield barrels.  The '03 barrels were shortened at the breech and rechambered for .30-40.  This is not a bad thing in a Shooter/Sporter, if properly done.  Your front sight is an '03 Springfield sight.  Look and see if the rear of the guide rib on your bolt makes contact with the Receiver.  Gunsmiths often fitted 're-barrels' this way to strengthen the action. I'm attaching a photo of a Sedgley Sporter I have that shows the re-use of a 1905 dated '03 barrel.  A lot of inexpensive hunting rifles were created from Krags and surplus parts during the Depression.  I think the Flat or "Slab-sided" look was influenced by the Reigning Lever Guns in hunting.

IP Logged

Brian Carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks, gents, for all of the info (very glad I joined this forum!).

The rear of the guide rib does indeed butt up against the reciever, as you described....

Brian

Port Crane, NY

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Brian:  The work was done by a clever gunsmith!

IP Logged

Brian Carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Jan 27th, 2012 at 5:04pm:
Brian:  The work was done by a clever gunsmith!

Good to know!  So was the $300.00 a reasonable expenditure?  The dealer had $375.00 on it, but didn't hesitate long to take my offer...!

Brian

Port Crane, NY

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Brian:  In my opinion, $300 was a reasonable buy.  You have an interesting adaptation of a Military Krag to Civilian/Hunting use.  IMHO it was the Krag that sold U.S. Hunters and Riflemen on the Bolt Action Rifle.  However, your rifle may be difficult to re-sell.  Sporterized military rifles are a very subjective thing.  Most collectors hate or shun them.  A few see them as interesting and part of the Krag Saga.  A rifle like your's should be bought to be enjoyed because you like it and not as an investment.  Your rifle was altered in a workman-like fashion (Not by Bubba).  It is how Gunsmiths made a Living.  Chuck  (It might be useful to research Hart Arms Co.  It is likely this was your Gunsmith).

IP Logged

waterman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Hart Arms Co. (believe I have the name right) made and sold the flush conversion magazine to gunsmiths, hobbyists & anyone else with the $$.  After all, it was the Great Depression. 

There has been some discussion of the Hart firm on the Doublegun Singlebarrel Forum. Based on what I have learned from that Forum, if Hart Arms did the work, it would have been a much higher-$$ conversion, with a custom-made stock and maybe even a custom barrel .

To me, the replacement 03 barrel and the ex-military stock are indicators that a competent gunsmith made a Depression-era relatively low budget conversion.

IP Logged

Brian Carp
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
I definitely bought this for my own enjoyment as a unique hunting rifle, not at all as an investment.  I'm one of the oddballs that actually likes the sporterized military guns (I have a pretty decent Enfield, as well), as they have an actual practical application in the woods.
Don't get me wrong, I love original military arms, too!  I've owned some great Civil War and Indian Wars pieces.  But other than fun range shooting, they have no real practical use, other than as the aforementioned investments - and looking good in a collection....

Brian

Port Crane, NY

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Brian:  If you are having fun with it the money was well spent!
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2012 at 9:04pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo