Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Need a little help identifying this Krag Carbine. (Read 3759 times)
Ynagvar
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Need a little help identifying this Krag Carbine.
Apr 20th, 2012 at 1:54am
Print Post  
I have an old Krag Jorgensen, I would like to know what model it is and when it was made. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. The serial number appears to be 64314. 1903 is stamped on top, in front of the bolt. It has the symbol with the crown over the 1903 (I think this means it was made in Kongsberg?) There is a number stamped on the but plate but it is not very easy to read, is it important? I am not clear on the difference between the Krag Jorgensen and the Krag 30-40. I couldn'
t promise that it isn't one of those either.

I would also be interested in knowing where I could find this info, if anyone can help me, or point me in the right direction that would be great.

IP Logged

machman
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Need a little help identifying this Krag Carbine.
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Whoa...Extreme close-up! Do you have a shot that also includes the front sight & will give an idea of barrel length? What I see is a sporterized Norwegian Krag...someone else will chime in soonish with the exact model, what regiment it was issued to, where it saw action, etc. Nice!

IP Logged

joey connors
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
i joined this site ten minutes ago, looking for info on my krag. low and behold the first one i see is identical, almost. is stamped 1917 on receiver has the same crown symbol on it BUT also has a swastika on the right side of barrel with an f in front and a 4 behind. 22 inch barrel and serial number is 118959. has a military type front sight on it that appears to accept a bayonet. has been in the family for years. my mothers uncle got it somewhere and my father had it in his gunbox for 40-50 years, he passed a few weeks ago and it was passed on to me. would love to know anything about it.

IP Logged

mussonor
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Ynagvar wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 1:54am:
I have an old Krag Jorgensen, I would like to know what model it is and when it was made. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. The serial number appears to be 64314. 1903 is stamped on top, in front of the bolt. It has the symbol with the crown over the 1903 (I think this means it was made in Kongsberg?) There is a number stamped on the but plate but it is not very easy to read, is it important? I am not clear on the difference between the Krag Jorgensen and the Krag 30-40. I couldn'
t promise that it isn't one of those either.

I would also be interested in knowing where I could find this info, if anyone can help me, or point me in the right direction that would be great.

Hi.
You got a Krag Jørgensen m1894 6.5x55, produced in 1903 at Kongsberg in Norway. In 1903 5603 krags were produced for the army, and 50 to private. In 1940 qt the start of ww2 your krag were stationed with the Infanteryregiment 9 in Norway. They were located in Bergen, and on YouTube there is som autentic film taken in 1940 with norwegians with their krag (could be that one og the krags seen over the soldiers shoulder is your krag) (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

mussonor
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
joey connors wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 4:25pm:
i joined this site ten minutes ago, looking for info on my krag. low and behold the first one i see is identical, almost. is stamped 1917 on receiver has the same crown symbol on it BUT also has a swastika on the right side of barrel with an f in front and a 4 behind. 22 inch barrel and serial number is 118959. has a military type front sight on it that appears to accept a bayonet. has been in the family for years. my mothers uncle got it somewhere and my father had it in his gunbox for 40-50 years, he passed a few weeks ago and it was passed on to me. would love to know anything about it.

First, the swastika were a common used stamp on subcontracotr barrel maker long before ww2. Has nothing to do do ww2 or nazi influence seen on a norwegian krag made before 1943.

Your 1917 production were actually in service with Garden (The kings platoon in Oslo) in 1940. Garden were in heavy fighting with agenst the germans in their effort og protecting King Håkon and Crownprince Olav when they evacuated to Elverum (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

joey connors
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
thanks alot, i knew the swastika was a common symbol then and figured it wasn't german. is backwards like a mirror image. so i'm guessing it is also a 6.5x55 norwiegian . now to find ammo. i hunt with muzzleloaders but look forward to shooting this rifle, thanks again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo