Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
U.S. Krag screw threads??? (Read 3958 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

U.S. Krag screw threads???
May 4th, 2012 at 1:49am
Print Post  
A recent forum question had me measuring Krag side plate screw threads with a thread gauge.  While I was doing this, I began checking 'threads per inch' (TPI) and Major Thread Diameter of other Krag screws.  The side-plate screw, rear barrel band/sling swivel screw, front barrel band/bayonet lug screw, and front stacking swivel screw all seem to be 26 TPI with Major Diameter averaging .180 inches.  Strangely, 10 rear sight screws of 1896, 1901, & 1902 styles appear to be 28 TPI (I had expected 26 TPI).  The Major Diameter of the sight screw threads varied from .158 to .160 inches.  The trigger guard screws were 24 TPI with Major Thread Diameter of .245 to .248 inches.  The trigger guard screws, front barrel band, and rear barrel band/swivel screws of the Krag were carried over to the 1903 Springfield, I believe.  I am left wondering the influence and reason for the peculiar threads found on the Krag.  Were these threads used on earlier Springfield Arms?  Are they European and present on the Norwegian trial rifles?  Are they influenced by British or Bicycle threads?  I am curious.

IP Logged

Century2
KCA Forum Member

Krag Collector!

Re: U.S. Krag screw threads???
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2012 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
I've seen it discussed many times with no real resolution?

Here was a go at it years ago...

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. Theodore Roosevelt

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2012 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Century2:  Thanks for the jouster link on Krag Threads.  It looks like 5MadFarmers provided a good reference with the 1902 inventory of Frankford Arsenal tap & die sets.  (The .156 x 30 is probable for actual size of Krag sight screws and the .187 x 26 for side plate, and barrel band screws).

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2012 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Here's a fairly easy way to count non-standard threads using just a camera and a computer. Example shows Krag rear sight screw.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2012 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Parashooter:  That is very handsome and clever camera & computer work.  I was mainly curious why the U.S. Krag has such peculiar threads.  This seems to be an intriguing story.  I am sure some of the parts have been noted.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo