Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1898 Krag bolt (Read 2961 times)
domino1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 Krag bolt
May 7th, 2012 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
I have an 1898 Krag,sporterized. I took the bolt out to clean, when I started to put the bolt back in the bolt lug and bolt handle turned to the right and I cannot get the extractor back in place. This is the first time this has happened and I'm stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The bolt can neither come out or go in.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 Krag bolt
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2012 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
domino1:  It is likely your bolt cocking piece/firing pin rod assembly slipped out of the shallow notch on the rear of the bolt body and rode down the incline near the bolt handle root.  If you returned it to the 'cocked-position', you did this with the extractor on the wrong side of the rib on the bolt body.  Return your striker to the 'fired' position by holding the bolt handle in your right hand like a pistol grip, the bolt body parallel to your right forearm the cocking piece knob grasped by your left thumb and forefinger.  Pull on the cocking-piece while rotating it counter-clockwise.  Gently allow the cocking piece to slide down the incline to the fired position.  Again holding the bolt in the right hand like a 'backward pistol', flip the extractor downward.  With the left thumb and forefinger, pull on the cocking piece while rotating it clockwise up the incline until the nose of the cam seats in the shallow notch on the rear of the bolt.  The extractor should now be on the right side of the bolt rib and the bolt can be inserted into the action.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2012 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
domino1:  If your bolt is in your rifle but jammed, easier still.  Pull your bolt all the way rearward until the locking lug stops bolt travel against the receiver.  Pull on the cocking piece with your left thumb and forefinger as you turn it clockwise.  At the same time grip the stock with your right hand just in front of the trigger guard.  With your right thumb, put pressure on the extractor and guide it into its slot in the receiver as the cocking piece/striker assembly is rotated.

IP Logged

domino1
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2012 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Thank You so much, Your quick response is greatly appreciated. I wasn't sure were to go with this problem. Again thank for your help and advise.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo