Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
peep sights (Read 4177 times)
Rod
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

peep sights
Aug 3rd, 2012 at 1:55am
Print Post  
I have an 1894 krag and would like to know if a peep sight from an 1898 would interchange or mount on mine. It is the type that mounts by replacing the left side plate screw with the longer screw that comes with the peep sight. I have not used the gun for awhile since old age is closing in and now have to use dad blamed bifocals. Then I discovered that peeps work much better and even with the bifocals.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: peep sights
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:28am
Print Post  
Rod:  The Redfield 'no-drill' peep sights work on the 1894, 1896 and 1898 Krags.  The Redfield sight requires the removal of the magazine cut-off, as well as, the longer replacement screw.  The sights work well on the Krag but may introduce some roughness in cartridge feeding, unless the cut-off slot is filled with a properly shaped and oriented shaft.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 2:37am
Print Post  
The Redfield 102K (earlier named 'Western') attaches identically to the Redfield 70 series.  It (102K) is a fine sight and probably more common and easier to remove for bore cleaning and return to prior setting, if set screw is utilized.

IP Logged

Rod
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Thanks for the information. Now all I have to do is find the peep sight, modify my (already sporterized) stock slightly, and sight it in and a huntin we will go.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Issue Krag stock does not require modification to use Redfield 102K and 70K sights.

IP Logged

Rod
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2012 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
It's not an issue krag stock. Had a replacement sporterized stock on it when I bought it (lousy stock job). Then sold it to my brother since I had my grandfather's krag and he couldn't find as good a deal (Got it for $75 at an auction). Then when I told him I wanted to get a peep sight for my grandfather's krag he wanted to keep grandad's the way we got it from him so traded me guns and he had replaced the lousy stock job with with a new sport stock himself (very nice job) but had put a williams peep mounted on the right side ( he didn't know that there were peeps made for krag's) so I ended up with the krag that had an excellent barrel and now a better stock job.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo