Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Inherited 1898 Krag (Read 2524 times)
DashDriver
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Inherited 1898 Krag
Apr 24th, 2013 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Hello,  I inherited this rifle when my grandfather passed away four years ago and I am just now picking it up from my family in NY and trying to get it back to CO.   It is the first rifle I've ever owned, and the history of the rifle is fascinating.   The action and barrel seem to be in good shape and I hope that it is in useable condition.   I'll get it looked at by a gunsmith back home when I have the time.

The Redfield apature sight, front sight, sling and swivels are not original.  There does not appear to be a cartouche anywhere on the stock so I'm assuming it was replaced?

Any info about this rifle would be appreciated. 

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Inherited 1898 Krag
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Well, it is a Model 1898 rifle action, in a Model 1896 Carbine stock (which, while incorrect, at least works, though the opposite does not as there is more metal on the 1896 receiver).

The barrel, once 30" long, has been shortened and a 1903-style front band sight installed. Or, it may actually be a 1903 barrel - a common gun-smithing trick in the 30s - just cannot tell from photos.

The rear sight is a model 1901, which well could be correct for the rifle before being cut.

So, not much collector value, but has priceless family memories.

IP Logged

DashDriver
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info.   I figured it was a bit of a mutt after looking through the 1898 manual and seeing the mismatched sight and action. 

IP Logged

waterdogg
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Still is a beautiful rifle. My Krag is a mutt for sure. rear sight is hideous, and is comming off soon. Front sight I can live with. Nothing wrng with your mutt.

IP Logged

Stewart
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
It's not necessarily a mismatched action and rear sight. An 1898 rifle could correctly have an 1898 rear sight, a 1901 rear sight or a 1902 rear sight, the first and the last are very much alike. Probably if the rear sight seems correctly mounted and its remaining finish is similar to the barrel and action, they are all original. I have a feeling that your 100K series serial number is probably indicative of a 1901 manufacture date too, which would support the idea that all the metal is original. Maybe one of the collector experts can verify that.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 12:41am
Print Post  
A 1901 rear sight would not have originally been fitted to a rifle in the 157K range, that being about three years too early - but it could well have been a proper army retrofit later on, so, they are not at all incompatible.

I had missed the fact that the band is from a 1903, but after further inspection, I do believe the barrel is Krag. So yes, a mutt if you will, but still a great family gun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo