Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Values??? First crack before Gunbroker??? (Read 3181 times)
crsshairs
KCA Forum Member

Gunsmith

Values??? First crack before Gunbroker???
Apr 27th, 2013 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I'm currently in the process of helping a friend sell firearms from an estate. After seeing the condition of these lovely old Krags; one sporterized, and one original condition. I thought I would approach this forum for opinion and an approximate value. Before I post these on Gunbroker, I wanted to offer them to true aficionados of the Krag. What have I got here? If there is any interest or info anyone can provide, I have more pictures at my disposal.
- Fuller

IP Logged

crsshairs
KCA Forum Member

Gunsmith

Re: Values??? First crack before Gunbroker???
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Here are some more photos.

IP Logged

RPRNY
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2013 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
I can only speak to the Sporter but others much more knowledgeable than myself will be along to talk about the other, its degree of originality being the main variable in its value.

Sporters' value is entirely market driven, in the sense that there is no clear book or class value.

Q:Will there be substantial demand for a 115 year old open sighted hunting rifle with an unwarranted reputation for "weakness" and a rather warranted reputation for variable bore size?
A:No.

So your market is among nostalgia seekers, those who like old sporters, and the uninformed bargain hunter, as well as Krag aficionados who like sporterized versions. As you can imagine, this is not a huge volume of people. Lower demand means a likelly lower price to move. Lets say the "original" Krag is indeed original and that both it and the sporter are in like condition. Based on my experience, you should expect to sell the sporter at a @ 40% - 50% discount vs the original.

Were I listing it, and assuming it is fully functional with no issues, I would set the reserve  on the Sporter at $275 and hope for it to break $300. Since it's not an "original", I would also suggest giving the stock a clean with some Murphy's woodsoap and, after a good hand dry and 24 hours hang drying, a very light coat of stock conditioner to help draw the punters.

In any event, two very nice rifles. Best of luck  Smiley

IP Logged

waterdogg
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Nice rifes!

IP Logged

gnoahhh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
PM sent regarding the sporter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo