Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
I have a broken carbine and would like to fix it. (Read 3768 times)
GUTS
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

I have a broken carbine and would like to fix it.
Jun 13th, 2013 at 2:08am
Print Post  
A friend of mine gave me this carbine to fix. I know I need a stock and rear sight, anything else? I have read that the Boyds stocks are tough to fit. What is the best replacment stock to buy? Thanks.
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: I have a broken carbine and would like to fix it.
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 4:16am
Print Post  
GUTS:  If the commercial Lyman peep sight is left on this 1899 Krag Carbine, it will require altering any Krag stock to allow clearance for the Lyman sight.  (You don't want to do this inletting on a desirable Krag Stock).  If you remove the Lyman sight, which is collectable in its own right, You will have ugly threaded holes in the receiver, which are not original.  I would recommend you contact one of the gentlemen listed in the KCA classifieds, who sell Krag parts, and see if they can help.  You need a Krag carbine front sight blade (to replace the Marble's blade).  You need a 1901 Carbine rear sight ladder and slide.  You need a serviceable Stock.  (You might consider using a Krag rifle Stock that has been cut-down to Carbine or sporter length).  Any of these parts are going to be hard to find and expensive.  If it is decided to keep the commercial Lyman sight on this Krag, leave the front sight as is.  Also, don't bother completing the 1901 rear sight because it will block the view through the peep.  If it were mine, I would obtain a cut-down rifle stock and just assemble everything as is.   

IP Logged

GUTS
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 10:42am
Print Post  
I talked to him and he just wants it complete so he can shoot it, he doesn't mind if it's not original/correct.

IP Logged

gnoahhh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I think the cheapest way to get the thing shooting again would be a Boyd's stock. Sure quality and ease of fitting is sometimes problematic, but probably no more so than any other, and a decent mechanic should be able to accomplish it. Sell the 1901 C sight base and handguard to help defray the cost of the repro stock. Keep the Lyman sight on it for that represents almost as much value as the rest of the rifle.

Of course, if the bore is "frahundsed" just hand the whole thing back to your friend and tell him to part it out, for then it becomes economically imprudent to do anything with it. A new barrel will cost 200 beans- darn near what a decent 'shooter' can be had for.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Guts:  The 'peep' sight on your friend's "sporterized" 1899 Krag Carbine is a Model 34 Lyman.  The sight has a collector value of around $125 to $175.  This carbine was altered a long time ago to serve as a hunting rifle and may have a family connection to your friend.  (It appears your Krag is missing the magazine cut-off).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2013 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Guts:  If your Friend's altered Model 1899 Carbine is in shoot-able condition (and most Krags are), a cut-down rifle stock provides an easy and not too expensive solution ($90-$125).  I would contact one of the two gentlemen in the KCA Classifieds, who sell parts, and let them know your situation.  They may have a cut-down rifle stock or altered carbine stock that will do.  You can also check GunBroker for parts and wood.  To work, a stock would have to be 'notched' for the #34 Lyman (use the broken stock as a pattern).  Don't go carving up any really nice Krag Stock!  A cut down Rifle stock and Rifle barrel-band/sling swivel will fit and look good on a 'carbine'.  Here is a picture of a couple of 1899 carbines I have that became 'Deer Rifles'.  The top one is in a cut-down rifle stock and the bottom one has a thinned-down carbine stock.  This was the fate of many Krags and is a part of the "Krag Rifle Story".

IP Logged

GUTS
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 2:21am
Print Post  
Thanks a bunch fellas, great info as usuall. The bore is very nice so it should make a good shooter for him.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo