Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Bore condition - my 2 Cents (Read 2743 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Bore condition - my 2 Cents
Oct 31st, 2013 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
I grew up in an era when NRA 'standards' were used to classify the external and internal condition of a used firearm.  The grading (which I internalized) ranged:  New, Perfect, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, and Poor.  These conditions were well defined and printed in the Classified Advertising Section of each copy of the "American Rifleman".  These standards were also applied to 'bore condition'.  Used gun values were determined by where a 'specimen' fell in condition rating.  Of course, there were rifles that appeared 'mint' on the outside, but had a rotten or damaged bores.  Conversely, there were rifles with rough or damaged exteriors, but they were 'mint or excellent' internally.  These hybrid condition arms would be more subjective in valuing.  Also problematic and subjective was the arm that had been modified (by skilled gun smith or Bubba) and was no longer 'factory or arsenal correct'.
Nowadays, there are a lot of vague and contrived terms thrown about which smack of Madison Avenue:  "Strong Rifling", "Duffle-Cut", "Excellent for its age", or (the visual photo of a bullet inserted at the muzzle).  These practices 'spin' reality and obscure or hide actual damage.
     In my opinion, a gun buyer needs to give primary attention to the condition of the bore.  If it is dark, pitted, and rough (after cleaning out lead, old dried grease, or cosmoline) it will probably remain that way.  It may be able to shoot accurately, but it will probably be very fussy about loads, bullet selection, and weight.  It may shoot like a 'Brown Bess' with no discernible grouping and bullets 'key-holing'.  Also, a lot of money and sweat will be expended in 'cleaning' after Range Sessions, with non-satisfying results.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Bore condition - my 2 Cents
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2013 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Additional 2 Cents:  A 'problem' with the NRA condition/definitions is that very few used Military Arms would rate higher than 'Very Good' and most arms fall in the classifications 'Good', 'Fair', or 'Poor'.  It is also silent on arsenal re-builds, correct 'parts guns', cosmetic blemishes (like buggered screws, stock flaws, marred finishes) on otherwise nice specimens.  Most guns have been used and messed with!  'Excellent' specimens of U.S. service arms are very rare, compared to 'Good' and 'Fair' ones.  There is a lot of financial incentive to sellers passing off a firearm as a better grade than it is and concealing flaws.  Parts replacing, switching, and restoration/repairs are common.
     Also, from my experience, there is a tendency (either through ignorance or deceit) for sellers to represent non-arsenal refinished, stock restored, sporter modified, or cut-down Krags as: original finish or rare models.  Buyer Beware!  There has long been Fakery and deceit with U.S. Krags.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2013 at 8:43pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

gnoahhh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Couldn't have said it better myself. Never has caveat emptor been more valid than now, in the age of internet buying.

45 years of messing with Krags, and I use bore condition as the determining factor when buying one as shootability is a prime concern. Nothing breaks my heart more than if a pristine example turns out to have a sewer pipe bore. I'll lay it down and buy its brother that has a few condition issues but with a pristine bore- no matter whether it's a Krag or a Sako.

As an aside, one of the most gee-whiz accurate Krags I ever owned was a '96 carbine with a rather rugged looking bore, that was given me by a widow lady. That thing would slop 220 Hornady's into 1½MOA all day and all night. Probably should have kept it...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
gnoahhh:  You should have kept that carbine!  But, we can all say that about guns we once owned, should have kept, and in a moment of passion and weak logic, let get away.  It is very true that sometimes a rifle with a rough bore shoots well.  However, the flaw of the rough bore and frustrating maintenance gnaw at me and prompt me to find a better rifle.  One recourse now available to Krag fanciers is new Criterion rifle and carbine barrels.  It also appears the CMP 'Custom Shop' is now offering gunsmith services on U.S. Krags.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo