Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Range report on refinished 1898 (Read 5160 times)
jay dee
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Range report on refinished 1898
Nov 1st, 2013 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
    This is the 1898 that I refinished in an earlier post I was asked to let you know how it shoots.This is from a makeshift bench that I put together at fifty yards. (You need to Login to view media files and links)  Remington express 180 gr. core-lokt                                                                               (You need to Login to view media files and links)                                                                               It has been years since I have tried to shoot for groups and my eyes have gotten much worse.I was very happy with this group given that I can no longer focus on the sights and see the target.I would appreciate any tips that anyone might have to aid in sighting.I thought maybe white paint to outline the sight.                                                                               As far as the ammo I fired 5 rounds of remington express while I was trying to make my bench more comfortable.This gave me about a 7'' group ,I relaxed and tried five more with some WW Super ammo from 1970's with not so good results,maybe 12'' and they packed much more punch.The last five are remington express on the target above.

IP Logged

gunboat57
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Range report on refinished 1898
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
jay dee, on really fine sights like on the military Krag I have to use an aperture that attaches to my glasses with a suction cup.  That cuts out a lot of the fuzziness.

Here's one from Midway.  Simple, but works for me.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

So, where are you hitting relative to your point of aim?  A bit high I'd guess?

Tom P.

IP Logged

jay dee
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2013 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Sorry,yes about 6'' high but some of that might be because I assumed the sight was at its lowest setting but when I came back in to clean it I found it set at about 350 yards.                                                                                     Thank you for that link I will get one and give it a try.After 15 rounds my head was starting to hurt from trying to focus.                                                                                 Thanks again John.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2013 at 12:34am
Print Post  
jay dee:  I am farsighted and only need reading glasses for short distances.  However, I now find gun sights have become fuzzy.  My solution has been to wear 2X reading glasses (with high impact plastic lenses) as shooting glasses.  This makes metallic sights and scope cross-hairs very clear.  The bulls-eye is a bit blurry but that is no problem.  You want the sights to be in sharp focus.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2013 at 2:49am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

gunboat57
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2013 at 1:57am
Print Post  
John, I assumed you are near-sighted as I am.  An aperture helps me but I'm not sure if an aperture helps far-sighted folks like butlersrangers.  Also, you could make a temporary aperture (or diopter) by punching about a 1/16" dia hole in a piece of black electrical tape and sticking it on your lens.  I think I tried it once and had some good results, though the material that the hole is in should ideally be a bit thicker.
Don't forget to remove the tape before driving home.  I've found that diopters do not enhance my driving skills.

Tom P.

IP Logged

jay dee
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2013 at 4:12am
Print Post  
I am farsighted as butlersrangers describes,and will try some different reading glasses tomorrow.I have several strength that I use reading and model building.My biggest problem is focusing on the sights.I'm out of Krag ammo for the moment but it should give me an idea of what they will do.Thanks again, John.

IP Logged

jay dee
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 12:19am
Print Post  
I tried 1.25 to 3.00 and found 1.50 seems like it may help me tremendously,I've got to find some impact resistant glasses or maybe just wear my shooting glasses over them,none of which matters until I pick up some more ammo.At 40$+a box and no choice of bullets and my son shooting more odd rounds than that I think my next investment is going to be a reloading set up.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2013 at 12:32am
Print Post  
On the rifle I use for target shooting, I enlarged the notch on the 1902 sight just enough that I could see a little sliver of light on each side of the front side base.  I also thickened the front blade with electrical tape.  Still, the front blade gets a bit fuzzy when I pull it down into the notch, so lately I've been experimenting with leveling the top of the front sight base in the notch of the rear sight, leaving the blade up where I can still focus on it.  Seems to help, though I've only shot it a couple times that way and haven't got my 100yd zero yet.    Next time you get a chance to shoot try an SR1 target using a 6 o'clock hold with the front sight in focus, target left fuzzy.  You can find the SR1 targets online and print them out on 8.5x11 paper.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo