E.M. Betting
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Help!
Nov 7th, 2013 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Dear sirs
I am new to this Forum, and dutch so forgive me my bad spelling
Two years ago I bought a Krag Jorgenson caliber 6,5x55.
I needed two years of practice and trying to find the best load for the ammo. I am glad to say that I may have found heaven.
What a fantastic gun.
Here comes the problem: I live in Holland, we have very strickt regulations for owning a gun. We can only use it for sport-shooting.
The kind of sport-shooting this Krag can be used for is called here Veterans Rifle in Germany they call it Ordonanz-Waffen. We can only use rifles that were manufactured before 1950 and used in a Army in any part of the world. Well Norway was involved in WWII, thats my luck.
The rifle I own has a date on the chamber: 1922, the riffle number is 151157, and the bolt number is 397.
I can't find what category this rifle is. Is it a sniper? is it assembeld forom different parts by some norwegian guy who had to parts on a shelff. What I need to know is it a Military rilfe. The price I paid was 100 Norwegian Crowns that is 12.50 Euro in dollars it is 16 dollars and 90 cents. Not a bad trade, but if I can't use it for sportshooting the gun is worth nothing. I attached a foto, more detailed foto's will follow.
Hope you can help me. If it is a sniper rifle, I am the luckyest woman in the world, because that is allowed for sport-shooting here, if not (*&%)
Best greeting E.M. Betting, Assen Holland

IP Logged

gunboat57
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Help!
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2013 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Hello, E.M. Betting and welcome!

I searched on the internet for serial numbers for the Norwegian Krag and found this website:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

Your number 151157 seems to be for a model M/1894 rifle made in 1922.

But near the bottom of the webpage is a picture of a target rifle similar to yours.  The caption reads in English:
"The rifle M/25 was produced from 1925 to 1950 in 2274 specimens, while the version M/30 from 1936 to 1951, a total of 854."

Perhaps your target rifle was made from an M/1894 military rifle?

There are people on this forum who know a lot about Norwegian Krags so we should hear from them soon.

Tom P.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2013 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Dear E.M. Betting:  Welcome to the Krag Collectors Forum.  I believe your Norwegian Krag started life as 'gunboat57' describes:  "a Model 1894 Norwegian Infantry rifle built in 1922".  It is likely that a Civilian owner sent this M1894 Rifle to the Kongsberg Vapenfabrikk, or to a private gunsmith, to have it converted to a Sharpshooter's (target) rifle similar to the Model-1930 pattern.  It appears you have a very nice military style target rifle with diopter sights that are worth much more than you paid for the rifle.  I hope you get some responses from knowledgeable Norwegian collectors.  Hopefully, there is a shooting classification that allows you to shoot your rifle as a Service Rifle converted to Match/Target rifle use.  You appear to have a very nice rifle chambered for a fine cartridge.

IP Logged

Top Dean
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 4:20am
Print Post  
considing the history of your country, your rifle say service with your Militry and or with the German Military in your country. If you are still not sure, i would go to one of the groups that host the events and they can give you more information. As a few others here stated, you rifle started Life as a 1894 rifle and then was later converted for just the pourpose that you have it now. I hope you get to enjoy your rifle and shoot it well. Keep us posted.

IP Logged

E.M. Betting
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2013 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Goodmorning to all of you
Thanks for the response, on the website (You need to Login to view media files and links) there is a rifle just like mine, it is written in frech and italian.
I have to translate it, an you wil hear from me.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2013 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
E.M.Betting:  If this is the picture you are referring to, there appear to be similarities to your rifle.  However, your stock appears to have a slightly different shape and is of laminated construction.  Lt.Col. William S. Bropy pictures a similar rifle in his book, 'The Krag Rifle', and describes it as "Sharpshooter's Rifle M30".  Franklin B. Mallory also pictures a similar rifle in his book, "The Krag Rifle Story".  He captions it "Model 1930 Sniper's rifle" and states "Later specimens of this rifle have a laminated beech stock that resists warpage better than solid wood".

IP Logged

E.M. Betting
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Hello there
It has been a while, since i visited this forum, but I have been very busy with practice. One week ago we went to Denmark for a short shooting vacation. They have the perfect lanes there. 100-200-300 and 600 meter lanes. What a nice country.
I would like to share with you my latest results on a 100 meter match. Wow what a great rifle
With friendly regards
E.M. Betting

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
E.M. Betting:

I'm glad you are enjoying your Krag target rifle. Nice shooting! As we say in America, that one is a 'Keeper'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint