Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 1898 "Bannerman" Krag???? (Read 10938 times)
1096369fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 "Bannerman" Krag????
Feb 14th, 2014 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Hey Guys,

I just scored a nice 1898, that was sold as a "Bannerman" I paid $280 shipped with my C&R.... I a not real knowledgeable on Krags... Can one of yous guys tell me what I got???
Barrel is 30" and serial is 387258 Nice cartouch behind trigger guard. Sorry for the crappy Pictures.

Thanks!
Fred

Hey Butlersrangers....thanks for the help.... figured it out and with your instructions it was easy!!! Now to work on my Photography skills! Also thanks for the history and Pics of Bannerman... I am not sure how my krag is tied to them.... but I guess anything is possible.... I dont think it has been modified and seems in pretty chrackerjack shape for an old gent of 115 years old!!! All I need to track down is a stacking swivel and screw and a good sling and I am set!!!

Thank You!
Fred

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2014 at 8:48pm by 1096369fred »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 "Bannerman" Krag????
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
I can't see much in your pics, don't see anything Bannerman about it, though it might have once been sold by him.  Looks like a regular 98 rifle to me.  Bannerman once did things like shoehorn Krags into 1903 Springfield stocks, but he also sold a lot of regular surplus rifles and/or rifles that had been cut to carbine length.

IP Logged

1096369fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2014 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply... will keep trying to get better images.... but so far... I am just an idiot... I guess I may have to pay imageshacks extortion fees...

so what do ya think... with a 30" barrel, no cut down stock, and no weird screw holes... I did pretty good, for less then $300?

I have a nice sporter Krag... and I have a faux Philippine Constabulary carbine project, I am working on.... I love these Krags.... the history and  what a sweet action!

Thanks!
Fred

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 5:06am
Print Post  
fred:  Review the thread on 'Cleaning Dirty Bore on Old Krag';  I posted an explanation on attaching pictures that is pretty straightforward.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
fred:  The term "Bannerman" has mixed images to arms collectors.  For some, it means 'cobbled' together 'parts guns' that were cheap arms for hunters, Military Schools and Drill Teams.  For others, it means amazing old arms catalogs that made useful reference books at a time when not a lot of information was available.  I had an elderly friend, now deceased, who grew up in New York City.  As a kid, when he had a couple of dollars, he would ride the streetcar to the Broadway store and come home with a collectable gun, bayonet, or sword.  I guess we all would like to have a time machine and go to Bannerman's various locations to see the treasure trove of arms, uniforms and parts, that were in their inventory.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
My 1873 Trapdoor rifle is most likely a Bannerman assembly.  I've read quite a bit about him now... and I wish I could go back in time, if nothing else, just to tour the castle before the explosion and fire!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
How old are the two color pics?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2014 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Dick:  I got the color pictures of Bannerman's Castle ruins on Pollepel Island about 2 years ago.  They were part of an article on the New York State property and the deterioration of the Hudson River landmark.  There are ongoing efforts to stabilize the Castle and Residence ruins through the Bannerman Castle Trust, Inc.  There are reservation only tours of Pollepel Island up-coming, May 3, 2014 to October 26, 2014.  Most of the destruction occurred during an uncontrolled fire in 1969 and partial collapse in December, 2009.  The Trust website is (You need to Login to view media files and links) .  It is possible to see a couple of tour videos on this site.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2014 at 12:28am by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Fred:  You did real well getting a full length Krag for $275.  A full length stock can sell for that.  It does appear that your metal has been 're-blued'.  Hopefully, you have a nice bore.  Your rear barrel band needs to be moved back (to the stock shoulder/front of hand-guard area).  There is a pin through the stock that should keep it there when the barrel band is clamped tight (the "U" on band goes on the right side).  You can shop ebay & gunbroker for a stacking swivel and screw.  The two gentlemen in KCA classifieds might help with a stacking swivel.  You have the 1901, Buffington designed, rear sight.  When you take your Krag apart, first remove the stock, then the rear sight, then slide the hand-guard forward off the barrel.  Don't snap it off and on the barrel.  The hand-guard already appears cracked.  Hand rub your wood with a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and turpentine to clean and feed it!  Gunstocks also like Pledge.

f
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2014 at 1:03pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 4:43am
Print Post  
butlersrangers wrote on Feb 17th, 2014 at 12:45am:
You can shop ebay for a stacking swivel and screw.  A 1903 Springfield one will also work.

Wouldn't an '03 swivel be a bit loose in the Krag band?

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Thank you Parashooter.  You are quite correct.  I have edited my post to correct the error about stacking swivel "interchangeability".  I don't know what I was thinking.  ('measure twice and cut once' is always good advice.  Especially, with gun advice and observations).  BTW - S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y., has repro. Krag stacking swivels ($12) and  screws ($6).  Attached photos show stacking swivel use and also 1903 National Match Army Team with novel stacking swivel/sling arrangement.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2014 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Joe DeChristopher sons has a stacking swivel and screw shown on their site for $30.  (You need to Login to view media files and links) .

IP Logged

1096369fred
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help, and advise!
I am only about 35 Minutes for De Christophers... and my regular gunsmith John Robinson knows him... so I will give him a try for a stacking swivel and screw.
As far as the rear barrel band it is dogged down tight... but the band is still loose... I suspect  that when the gun was refinished... the stock was sanded and re done as well... add that to 115 years... (I am still kinda knocked out that this piece is that old! I can't help but wonder who held, and shot her over the years!), and you get a loose band... I am thinking that trying to find the correct die to add a thread or two to the screw would be a chore....
The next idea I had is to add a couple of layers of black (electrical?) tape cut to fit under the band would help snug it up, with out being noticeable...
What do you guys think... I don't want to Bubba this gun up! Am I missing a better idea?

Thanks...Again!
Fred

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2014 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
The barrel-band's ability to 'clamp' is normally limited by contact with the stock or the middle sling-swivel.  Also, the pin that goes through the stock is normally long enough to prevent the 'clamped' barrel-band from moving forward.  Maybe, you have the wrong screw.  If a stacking swivel screw was used in place of the correct barrel-band screw, it would prevent the band from tightly closing on wood or its swivel.  The barrel band screw can normally be tightened to the point where the barrel-band contacts the wood or puts a lot of friction on its swivel.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2014 at 6:54pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo