Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
New Krag Owner Needs Help (Read 3047 times)
Xavier
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

New Krag Owner Needs Help
Feb 21st, 2014 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Good Morning,
I am a new Krag owner and I could really use some advice. I have always been interested in the Krag and after a recent trip to a gun shop I made one mine. The problem? It has clearly been sporterized and I am a traditionalist when it comes to my firearms. I would like to do my best to restore it to its former glory and I could really use some expertise on the appropriate parts needed for my particular model. I have found through my research that I'm more confused than not.

It is mark as a 1894 Springfield Armory Serial 6***
The stock has been chopped down to the first band and the barrel is 22.5in long. The front sight was welded on and is original from what I can tell. Outside of that all the parts are present. I can probably post pictures if that helps.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advise that you could give. Thanks for your time

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: New Krag Owner Needs Help
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Hi!  Welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of Krags!

Pictures would definitely help with identifying what you have.  A great many Krags were sporterized, and if your barrel has been cut, returning it to original condition would be difficult.  What rear sight do you have, and is there an upper handguard?  There is a picture page on this site where you can identify your rear sight, handguard, etc.

How did you measure your barrel?  The proper method would be to measure from the closed bolt to the muzzle with a cleaning rod.  A standard infantry rifle will be 30 inches, and a carbine will be exactly 22 inches.  If your front sight is dovetailed and brazed in place, it could be a standard carbine barrel... but again, it should be 22 inches. 

Also, a carbine stock will end just ahead of the rear band, however, a great many stocks were cut off to make them appear as carbine stocks.  Again, pictures would be a huge help in identifying what we're looking at.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Welcome indeed!

Unfortunately, you have picked the "worst" possible model to restore. To make it "as made" (a Model 1892 Rifle - there were only TWO carbines made and both are accounted for) would take thousands of dollars. To emulate a M1892 Rifle brought up to M1896 specs - as most eventually wound up - would still take many hundreds of dollars.

If you want an "original" full-length Krag, I would look for an M1898, or even M1896 Rifle. There are always several nice ones to choose from on (You need to Login to view media files and links) and numerous people here would be glad to vet any prospective purchase for you. Sadly, you bought first and asked your questions later. You will probably find your new baby hard to sell - but my recommendation would be to do just that and acquire one for which you do not need to make excuses. Will the shop take it back? My guess is that they were extremely happy to find a buyer for something which would not have been a fast mover.

Or, if finances permit having two Krags - keep this one for shooting/hunting/general fun, and get another for the historical aspect.

Don't mean to be harsh, at all - just my $.02 after 45 years of Krag collecting!

IP Logged

Xavier
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your advise. I greatly appreciate you guys taking your time to help this novice out. I did not purchase the rifle for a great deal of money and I knew going into the purchase that I would probably need to spend some to fix it up. I don't sell my firearms or plan too so resale value for me is not high on my agenda. I just enjoy shooting. Hence, I would like to turn it into a shooter and try to use as many period original parts as possible.

After reading your responses I'm starting to believe the best thing to do would be to try and restore it to a 1896 model. My biggest problem is there is considerable rust inside the barrel. So my main question is if I wanted to restore it to a full length rifle do the parts exist to do so. Or should I just try to hunt down a carbine length barrel. Thanks again for your help.

Here are some pictures that may help.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2014 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Dick is right, and just about as good with advice as you can get!

As cutdowns go, it's not bad looking... someone tried to make it "LOOK" like a carbine.  It should be a nice shooter as it, but to restore it to a full length rifle would require a new barrel, repairs to the stock, and you would need to acquire the upper band, and some other bits and pieces.  A lot of money involved there.  If you don't intend to sell this one, keep it as is and look for another that is original.

As for the condition of the barrel... is it rust, or just crud that needs to be cleaned out?  Have a good gunsmith check it out for safety's sake.  Deep pitting may make it undesirable for shooting... but surface rust can be removed with a bore brush, some Hoppes solvent, and a little elbow grease.  Sometimes, even less-than-perfect Krag barrels can be great shooters!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Xavier, it is restorable to 92/96 configuration.  The CMP sells new made rifle and carbine length Criterion brand barrels, and forearms to graft on are available on ebay or here:  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

The only other thing that would be needed is an upper band/stacking swivel.  The Criterion barrels come without the front sight stud and the sight screws are a different thread.  S&S Firearms sells new made sight studs, I think.  The 92 forearm would not have had lightening cuts in the bottom, maybe contacting them at the link above you could get one without the lightening cuts in the barrel channel.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2014 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Xavier:  Cost of rebuilding - Criterion barrel = $200
                                         fitting barrel &
                                         front sight, finish
                                                  chamber = $125
                                         replacement
                                                   forearm =   $80
                                          front band/stack
                                          swivel & screws = $65
                                                         misc. = $30
                                       conservative total =$500

Chances are no one else will want this re-build and $500 will go a long way in buying what you actually want.  Best start is cleaning bore on your 'new' faux Krag carbine and try it out at the Range.  It looks like a fun Shooter!  Mine is!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo