Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 Somebody stole one! (Read 10882 times)
Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Somebody stole one!
May 5th, 2014 at 3:30am
Print Post  
A nice, original (except possibly the rod) 1892 just closed on Gunbroker [ (You need to Login to view media files and links) ] for $1922. That is about 1/2 to 1/3 what it is, IMHO, worth.

I set a firm limit, didn't even watch the close, and was beaten by one increment - the worst way to lose.

But, looking on the bright side, I already have one. Would I have gone another $25? Of course, but, that 15-minute thing can go on forever - and you never know who will blink first.

How many here were watching it, or perhaps bidding?

Terrible presentation - and, I wonder if he knew what he had? Judging by his other merchandise I'm thinking he didn't have a clue. I asked him several questions, which he answered promptly.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2014 at 6:04am by Dick Hosmer »  
IP Logged

olderthansome
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Somebody stole one!
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2014 at 7:54am
Print Post  
"beaten by one increment" only means his maximum bid was at some level higher than yours.  His maximum could have been $1000 or more higher than yours so if you had bid the next increment, the machine would have only continued to raise his bid to stay $25 higher than yours.  That could have gone on all night and you still would have been "beaten by one increment".  At least that's how I rationalize things every time I "lose" something.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2014 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
That is correct, of course. I rationalize by saying "whew - I'm relieved that now I don't have to write that check!"

He had been bidding all along, but never led until he posted what turned out to be the winning bid about 5 minutes before close. Since I'd decided much earlier not to contest the issue past a certain point, I'll never know what his max would have been.

I've been involved in the 15-minute dance a couple of times, fun, but kinda nerve-wracking as well. And, I've certainly had more than my share of success on GB. Hardest part about this one was keeping my mouth shut until it was over. Madsenshooter got screwed a few years back by calling attention to an interesting Krag.

On with the game!

IP Logged

Danny
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2014 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Not to come to gloat, but I came across this post as I searched for thing related to early Krags. I happen to be the guy that is writing the check on this one. I tossed in a bid to take it up to 850 to try and see where it really was, but then someone else took it up over 1000. Once it got to that point and the winning bidder hadn't changed I assumed that you knew what it really was, and that I couldn't get it at normal gunbroker Krag prices, which typically seem low to me. It was still in a place where I could try and I figured this might be my only chance to get an unaltered 1892. It will complete the spectrum of Krag rifles in my collection save for a 1st Type 1892, as I have a 92/96, 96, and a 98 that I rebuilt from a sporter. Once it arrives I am going to have to do some checking with SRS to see if they have anything on it, or the others that I have for that matter.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2014 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Congratulations!!!!!

And I mean that sincerely.

We'll look forward to hearing about it. From what I could see, and from what the seller told me, it appears - save for possibly the rod - to be absolutely untouched. The rod situation has always been a huge problem - only a very very few people have correct rods in their 1892s. Both of mine are wrong, and I have never been able to replace them. Someone needs to make a good repro.

There is nothing nearby in SRS - I already looked. I think you are past the matching number area (gate, follower, etc.) but you should look, just in case.

I presently own:

2546      unaltered 1892
6692      1892/1896
20197    unaltered 1892 (but has some later features)

IP Logged

Danny
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2014 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks, once I get it hopefully I can get some pictures that are in a better light. I will make sure to post them here, I will probably need the help in identifying all the details for this one. The 92/96 that I have is 18902. It still has a 92 handguard and a non slotted upper band.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2014 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Welcome Danny.  You guys are going to probably make me envious!  (I'm looking forward to photos).

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2014 at 12:45am
Print Post  
And now, a word from the seller!

"I just read about the modifications that were done. I had no idea. I don't specialize in Krag's, it was just sold to me by a local gun shop owner as a junker for 200 bucks."

So, Danny got a bargain, the seller pocketed a grand, and the "local gun shop owner" gets to put on the dunce hat and sit in the corner sucking his thumb. Wonder what the little old lady who brought it in to the LGS received? I don't really want to know - but I think that, just maybe, the right guy got screwed in this case. Too bad he'll never know.

IP Logged

Danny
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2014 at 2:43am
Print Post  
That's interesting, I hadn't asked the seller much about it. I guess every gun needs a good story to go with it.

IP Logged

Danny
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2014 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Finally got some pictures, follow the link. (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Len S
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 24th, 2014 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Great find , congratulations!

IP Logged

Fred G.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 24th, 2014 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Concerning your rod channel, is there a 1/4" bit of wood at the very rearward end of the channel just in front of the rear barrel band? Also, I noticed earlier that the cocking piece sear is the correct type. Is the Front sight a 92 or a 96?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - May 24th, 2014 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Danny:  Congratulations and Thanks for sharing!  I took the liberty of 'editing' some of your pics.  I've never had the opportunity to handle and examine an early Krag with so little alteration.  I believe your magazine cut-off is the later 1896 type.  If it were my Krag, I would leave it as is, but obtain an early rear sight and cut-off to show the evolution of changes.

IP Logged

Danny
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - May 24th, 2014 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Here are some more of the features that I got pictures of if this helps id'ing some parts. I know the main ones, but not what to look for on the bolt and magazine and such, (You need to Login to view media files and links)

@ Fred G, There is some wood there, if you can make it out in the photo that butlersrangers posted.

@ butlersrangers I agree the parts on it will stay as is for now they look right for the gun. That seems to be the consensus as well in the discussion on MDS where I also posted this.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - May 24th, 2014 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
It would be wonderful to know the story of how your Krag managed to avoid 'rebuilding' beyond rear sight and cut-off changes.  The fact that it has these minor 'field installs' increases its credibility, IMHO.  (What is the 'MDS' forum)?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo