Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
new here just joined (Read 1538 times)
shaggybull
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

new here just joined
Jun 8th, 2014 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
I have a Krag in need of help with identification of said rifle. on side of receiver has 1898 springfield armory 300028, there is a couple of stamp marks in wood JS-BA and some letter hard to make out with 1903 below them.
the wood stock extends all the way to the bayonet stud. In all the pictures I've seen of these rifles I haven't seen one like mine. Can I get some help here?

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: new here just joined
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum 'shaggybull'.  If you can post some pictures of your Krag, you will get more complete information.  It appears you have a Model 1898 U.S. Infantry rifle that was probably assembled in early 1901.  The stock is probably not original to that rifle, but was put on during a re-build after 1908 at Benicia Arsenal (B.A.).  The stamp you cannot make out is probably a stylized 'JSA' 1903 (J.S. Adams).  This is commonly called an acceptance cartouche and indicates when a completed arm was accepted into service.  These early markings were not removed when a stock was recycled. 
  If your stock goes all the way to the muzzle, someone (not the arsenal) has cut off some barrel length.  A Krag rifle barrel is 30 inches long and a carbine barrel is 22 inches long (measured from muzzle to closed bolt face).
  (Attached photo shows muzzle area of Model 1898 rifle).

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: new here just joined
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Welcome indeed!!

Yes, we would like to see pictures, since your stock ("wood to the bayonet stud") seems to be correct,
and the internet abounds with pictures of perfectly standard Krag rifles so stocked.

Also, just a very gentle one-time reminder that "please" and "thank you" will take you a LONG way here.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo