Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
yet another "what's it worth" question. (Read 2046 times)
RetiredNSmilin308
KCA Forum Member

Krag Admirer

yet another "what's it worth" question.
Jul 7th, 2014 at 2:07am
Print Post  
I just joined today, and this is my second post, besides my greeting.

To be polite, I am including as much info with pics as I can.

it is 1894 and serial number 1222

It came with a saddle rig, a cleaning kit in the buttstock and a box of good old ammo.  My original posting as some pics too.

I was told it was the guys great grandfather's and he used it extensively, feeding his family on elk regularly with it.  He said it was also the very same one he used in the army.  Evidently, you could buy your rifle when you got out, back then.

OK, here goes....

and thank you all in advance.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: yet another "what's it worth" question.
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 4:19am
Print Post  
Retired&Smiling:  Welcome to the KCA forum.  You have nice cut-down Krag rifle which is interesting because of its known hunting use and provenance.  As 'Parashooter' told you, it was an Infantry rifle and never a cavalry carbine.  Post U.S. Service, it was made into a carbine length hunting arm.  The banded front sight is probably from a 1903 Springfield.
  Your Krag, #1222, started life as a U.S. Model 1892 Rifle, assembled around July 1894.  It appears to have received 'Model 1896 Krag upgrades': changes to the bolt, the 'hump and pin' on the extractor spring, and the small 'notch' on the right rear top of the receiver (for the extractor spring pin to latch into and hold the bolt to the rear).
  You have a well traveled and converted Krag that is begging to be shot and enjoyed!
  Value in Dollars, with its goodies, about $400 to $550.  Value in story-telling - Priceless!

IP Logged

RetiredNSmilin308
KCA Forum Member

Krag Admirer

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Thank you so very much.  I cant wait til the seller looks up some infor on his great grandfather.  I will post it here when I get it.

Now I have to wait for time to pass and so I can post in the "looking for" section for some Winchester brass.  I still have a little more than 20 days to go. Embarrassed

IP Logged

RetiredNSmilin308
KCA Forum Member

Krag Admirer

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Hmmm...July 1894.

I wonder if that makes it legal for cowboy action shooting?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo