Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1892 upper band W/cleaning rod hole and '92 stock. (Read 17850 times)
soldierofhistory1898
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1892 upper band W/cleaning rod hole and '92 stock.
Jan 17th, 2015 at 1:54am
Print Post  
To whom it may concern! There is an 1892 krag upper band up for auction on ebay. The item no. is 191481579994. AT this time there is only one bid for $36.00. It still has five (5) days to go and t looks to be in very good shape.  There is an 1892 stock up for auction also. It's a 92/96 that someone has removed the filler from the rod channel. There are no lightening holes in the forestock. But the two holes in the butt are there. It looks to be in good condition also.
     Rots O Ruck on this one!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: 1892 upper band W/cleaning rod hole and '92 stock.
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the heads-up.

Band looks good. The point to watch for is a smooth curve at each side of of the hole, and homogeneous metal with wall not noticeably thicker at the bottom - the guide was machined in place, NOT an added tube.

The stock is what it is, and is not reversible - that said, complete early stocks don't show up often - IMHO that one should be used to upgrade a buggered 92/96.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2015 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
What makes you think the filler was removed from the stock?  I don't see any pin holes in the forearm.  Maybe the buyer will be by later to let us know.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2015 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
The lower end of the rod groove will tell the story. If the groove disappears under the band, the stock once had a filler and it has been removed. The rod groove of a virgin stock will terminate in a very visible ellipse, well clear of the front edge of the band.

Of course, we are only discussing the narrow filler version here, where the groove was not widened, only squared-out. Such stocks are fine for lower-grade re-assemblies for a "representative" 1892, not subject to intensive scrutiny.

A wide-filler stock is only good for a 92/96. Have not yet been into the vault, but I still think my wide (only) filler lacks pins. Stay tuned.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Oh, I read more of it.  Seller says there are pin holes filled.  Gee, if I take the filler out of one of mine do you suppose someone would give me 2x what I paid for the whole rifle?  In that case, I'd guess the parkerized Krag would be the best donor.  Thanks to the PO, I got it for free!  That's only if you don't count the one with cracked receiver and a forearm that looked like it was chopped off with a bayonet that I bought to replace the PO broken stock.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint