Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 25 I need some help with an 1894 Krag (Read 17466 times)
Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

I need some help with an 1894 Krag
Jan 25th, 2015 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
I have an opportunity to purchase an 1894 Krag. The rifle does not have a bolt, but looks complete otherwise. Can I use bolts from other models? Where can I find a bolt for this one? I do know of sporterized rifles that I can purchase just for the bolt, if they are interchangeable.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: I need some help with an 1894 Krag
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
The bolts are basically interchangeable, though there is a difference in the root of the handle. You want an 1896 bolt, which has a very short flat on the bottom, as opposed to an 1898 which has a longer flat. An original 1892 bolt (with solid guide rib) would work as well - root is like the 1896. I can see the extractor pin notch on the receiver, so your rifle has been through the 1896 modification process, saving you the expense of a very early bolt. Source for parts: Gunbroker, or Ebay.

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Thank you for the information. I bought the rifle a few hours ago and just got home. It doesn't look too bad, although somebody put shiny coat on it which has runs. Also, a noticeable stock repair. The bore is in pretty good shape though, although I probably won't shoot it too often.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Bill:  It looks like the ejector is missing and possibly the magazine follower.  (a basic schematic to help).

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Yes, the ejector is missing. The follower is there. That would be parts "R" and "S" for the ejector. I'd like to strip this shiny finish and just put some coats of BLO on the stock...but I don't want to get myself in over my head trying. Acetone didn't work. I have mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, and turpentine to try out.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 7:45am
Print Post  
"M" is the ejector.  It hinges in the floor of the bolt opening of the receiver, where it lies flat.
  A lobe on the tail of the ejector is acted upon by the Bolt as it is drawn back.  At the end of bolt travel, the ejector rises.
  The tip of the ejector makes contact with the fired cartridge case, which is held against the Bolt face by the extractor.  The fired case flips out of the action when its base contacts the ejector.

Part "S" is a flat spring that powers the follower arm and puts spring pressure on the Magazine gate.

(Here's a more complete schematic from the KCA Photos page).

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks.  I meant to say that S and R are parts for the magazine follower...must have been half asleep when I called them parts for the ejector.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Bill:  You did a very nice job of cleaning up your 'VFW Krag' recently, so you have some experience.  You might temporarily borrow the bolt and ejector from your VFW gun and put them in your Model-1896 (1892 updated) Krag and take it out for a Range Session.  You may find it to be a very fine shooter.

If your new, 1894 marked, Krag were mine, I would strip off the shiny stock re-finish using little squares of green 'Scotchbrite' pad saturated with Formby's 'Stripper/refinisher'.  Use light pressure and discard the 2"X2" squares as they load up with gunk.

Once you are down to original wood, evaluate the 'wood repair' and wood color.  You may want to improve the repair.  You may want to darken the stripped wood with stain.  When you are ready, apply multiple coats of heated 50/50 mix of Linseed oil & turpentine.  You can finish with carnauba based 'Trewax', Howard's 'Feed & Wax', or Pledge.

You got your 'VFW gun' looking quite nice, so that gives you a target to aim for with 'stock appearance'.  The missing parts you can acquire at gun shows, ebay, Gunbroker, or from parts sellers listed in KCA 'Classifieds'.  Take your time, don't pay too much, and correctness is optional and up to you, since later parts will work (and were so designed to function in earlier Krag models).

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks.  I thought you helped me on the VFW rifle.  I have found ejectors for sale, and possibly a complete 189 bolt. I'm going to try to find a bolt at a decent price. Do I have to use an ejector for a specific model, or are they interchangeable? Also, this one has a really nice bore on it...it's not pitted like the VFW rifle, so I'm sure it should be a nice shooter. I almost like the coating on the rifle...if it were done better, it might no look too bad. I'd prefer to not stain it, but I'm sure a dark stain would conceal the repair job a little better.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Bill - FWIW:  I have prejudices.  I don't like glossy finishes on gun stocks.  I don't like light walnut stocks on U.S. Military Arms.  (Except for the Italian walnut stocks that were used on some 1899-1901 vintage Krags).  To me a Black walnut stock, that is light in color, screams 're-finished'!
  I believe, with the exception of the first 300 Krags, the ejector remained unchanged.  Typically, unless the bolt is worked vigorously, the Krag ejector is pretty lackadaisical.
  There seem to be three styles of ejector pins.  Your's probably has a simple notch, or possibly is the later style, with a groove all the way around it.

BTW - Ejectors are not too rare and seem to sell for $15 to $25, with pin.  A nice complete bolt can be got for under $100.  Always give careful scrutiny to the locking lug.  (Look for cracks).

Have fun with your 'new' Krag.

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 3:42am
Print Post  
Thank you again for the information.  I like the original look as well. I have to say though, I have refinished a few stocks. I figured the previous owner already took away it's chance of being "original", so I'm not going to be able to reverse that. I probably will take the shiny stuff off. I don't know about dying the stock though. I don't want to make matters  worse if it doesn't turn out well. We'll see. I don't think I could replicate the original dark walnut color, and I'd hate to have uneven color, or a stock with a bad dye job.

IP Logged

Zgun
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Hi Bill,

If the stock is not dark to your liking after you get rid of the shiny stuff, I would recommend Fiebings dark brown Leather dye. (can be sourced at Tandy Leather craft) Get the alcohol based dye, not the water base.  This dye goes on and wipes off easily and I think provides excellent results. It is virtually a dead ringer for the color of old Springfield stocks that were dyed with logwood stain and has the reddish tint that all old riles made by Springfield exhibit.  I just stained a 1889 Danish Krag stock (made in 1910) with this dye that had been stripped, sanded and refinished with probably tru oil by a prior owner.  Now it looks like a 104 year old rifle stock should look, not like a leg on a coffee table. Before and after pics. I have not put any BLO on the stock yet.

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 6:45am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. I do have some of the dye, but it's medium brown. I tried a few things on the finish, and it must be a urethane finish...I think.  I tried denatured alcohol and acetone; neither of which removed any finish.

IP Logged

Bill
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 7:30am
Print Post  
I just received the extractor and a hand guard band with a sling swivel. Also won a bolt on auction. A few problems so far. One. I have no ideas how to remove the pin for the extractor (my rifle has the pin installed with no extractor).  Also, the screw for the hand guard band does not fit through the sling swivel I just bought. And, the new hand guard band doesn't quite match the metal on the rifle (this new band is brownish and my rile is mainly just worn bluing). I guess the sling swivel saren't interchangeable.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2015 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Bill:  When you remove the side-plate from the left side of the Krag action, the tip of the ejector pin should be visible (projecting just below the hole for the side-plate screw) .  There is a notch or groove on the tip of this pin to assist pulling it out of its hole.  It usually comes out pretty easy and a small screwdriver can be used to 'lever' it out.

All U.S. Krag sling swivels are interchangeable.  If a correct screw will not fit through the hole on a swivel, it is not a U.S. Krag swivel.

I am a bit confused by your 'swivel/band problem'.  I thought your "Model 1894" came with its front-band (bayonet/nosecap/stacking swivel) and rear-band (sling swivel).  Why are you replacing a band?

p.s.  It is not unusual for Krag rear barrel bands to have a 'brownish' cast.  The different component parts of the U.S. Krag received distinctive specified finishes.  A U.S. Krag is not a uniform 'blued' color on its metal.  The subtle coloring differences of the Krag's metal parts are something you study, get use to, and recognize for authenticity.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2015 at 4:24pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint