Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1898 carbine info (Read 1938 times)
Mcbiker65
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 carbine info
Aug 1st, 2015 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Hi all, I have what appears to be an 1898 carbine.  However, the serial number does not fall in to the accepted carbine range.

Cartouche is 1901, barrel is dead-on 22", front sight appears to be stock,  Rear sight is 1896 if i'm not mistaken,  no "c" markings on front or rear sight.
I got this rifle from my father earlier this year, it was my grandfather's rifle. There is no upper hand guard but the lower stock appears to be genuine carbine stock due to the spring loaded front ring retainer.  the front ring does have a sling ring though..

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

If you need specific pictures for clarification, let me know and i'll work on getting them posted

thanks.

IP Logged

Ned Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Re: 1898 carbine info
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I would say parts gun unless the serial # is on the edge of excepted range then MAYBE '98/'99 upgrade

IP Logged

Mcbiker65
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 carbine info
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2015 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
thanks Ned, i'm hoping it's more likely a '98-'99 upgrade.  It's certainly not in the accepted serial number range for '98 carbines.

or perhaps one of the conversions prior to public sale. 

I am haven't fired it yet, the only ammo i have is the old leftover ammo that my father had. Some of which looks like it was reloaded.  the projectiles are newer styles, probably 180 grain, but in a casing that was originally loaded with the 220 rounded top.

thanks again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint