Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Amoskeag auction (Read 6328 times)
gnoahhh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Amoskeag auction
Feb 24th, 2015 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
It was brought to my attention that some of Mark Benenson's Krag collection is coming up in a March auction at Amoskeag. Mark collected primarily custom Krags which may or may not interest some people, but I know he was also a sucker for pristine originals too. Regardless, he demanded quality and his collection showed it. The Jerry Fisher Krag sporter is absolutely to die for, IMO.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Amoskeag auction
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 7:57am
Print Post  
This was posted on another forum where a custom Krag from Mark Benenson's collection was discussed.

"I think maybe the U.S. Military made a sows ear out of a silk purse when it adopted the Krag. Every one I have shot is slicker than the slickest of custom guns, and most are boringly accurate and reliable for a hunting rifle. A well done sporterized Krag is a thing of beauty, and that one is certainly well done!"

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 8:56am
Print Post  
The Amoskeag auction catalog is on line.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

I did not count the Krags in the auction, but there are lots of them.  Maybe 50? Maybe more.  Custom hunting rifles by most of the big name makers; Stoeger, Sedgely, Niedner, etc., etc.  Every kind of Krags you can think of & some you cannot.  There are 2 nice sporters in .35 Winchester and .405 Winchester that I saw & fired a couple of owners back.  The oddest one is a US Krag takedown conversion with 4 barrels, one in .410-3".  A couple of Steyr-Krags, one with interesting provenance.  There is a Danish 1889 military rifle, & another Danish sporter.  Quite a few Norse Krags, some military, most sporters, 2 in 8x57.  US Military Krags in every imaginable state of correctness or incorrectness.  I did not see an unaltered 1892, but there is everything else.  Including something advertised as a Constabulary carbine.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Would be nice if they had a search feature!

Lots of Krags - I did find an original 1892 - but no 26" BoOF.

Estimated prices seemed somewhat inconsistant, at least to me.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing guys.  You don't see one of these every day!

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 7:20am
Print Post  
The Amoskeag "Silent Auction" catalog is available for download on the website.  The Silent Auctions are sealed bid auctions, with no audience or on-line bidding.  The March catalog has Krag actions (2 or 3), and Krag parts, including issue & after-market sights.  60+ pages of stuff to look at.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 6:02am
Print Post  
Prices (including buyer's premiums) for the Amoskeag Auction have been posted at the site referenced in an earlier post.  Krag prices are all over the place.  The slide-action Krag sold for $460.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint