Pump action Krag (Read 7347 times)
craigster
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Pump action Krag
Mar 9th, 2015 at 4:27am
Print Post  
Interesting to say the least.

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Pump action Krag
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Rare but not unique.  IIRC, we saw another somewhere, but cannot remember where.  The price does not seem too bad.  A real Krag die-hard needs this one.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Interesting...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
You could 'bleed' some gas off that barrel, power a piston, and make it a semi-auto!

IP Logged

cdagnese
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
This is way beyond "Bubba".  It is an abomination!  The guy who did this to a perfectly good Krag should be summarily executed at sunup.

IP Logged

craigster
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 2:49am
Print Post  
cdagnese wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 5:45pm:
This is way beyond "Bubba".  It is an abomination!  The guy who did this to a perfectly good Krag should be summarily executed at sunup.

How do you know it was a "perfectly good Krag" ? It could have been a real POS when he started. And, more than likely, when the conversion was done, Krags were a dime a dozen.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Whoever built this was not 'Bubba'.  I do not like the 'Look or Styling', but it was executed by someone with talent and ability.

As 'craigster' indicates, it was done long ago when it was innovative and as issued Krag rifles were considered no longer useful and cheap 'raw material'.

IP Logged

cdagnese
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
My perspective is 2015.  With Original Krag rifles getting scarcer every day, it seems a shame that any of them were used for experimentation.  While a pump action Krag may be a novel idea, I don't see any practicality in this design.  Most pump and lever guns have the advantage of reloading the chamber without taking the gun from your shoulder.  That doesn't seem to be possible with this design.  It has no collector value, it's not very attractive and, while the idea is novel, it's just not practical and not very attractive.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
I'm with Craigster on this one, but then I often am.  A Krag is not terribly easy to shoot if you are left-handed & have a left master eye.  Bolt action rifles have been with us and used for hunting since the days of the "New Springfield", but factory-built bolt actions specifically intended for left hand users did not exist until relatively recently (1970s?).

Since the 20s, for a period of more than 50 years, there have been individuals and small firms who converted right-hand bolt actions to left hand use.  Of necessity, they were all somewhat unusual or gimmicky. And they were never cheap, the conversion costing as much or more than the basic rifle.

Krags were available from DCM for $7 plus S&H (or less) and could be found in the used gun racks of gunshops, sporting goods stores, gas stations & feed stores for $10 to $20. Putting things into perspective, gas was less than 10 cents a gallon and bread was less than 10 cents a loaf.  Ordinary wages were less than $1 per hour.

Krags made economical raw material for the left-hand conversion designer-mechanic. The grooved-sleeve pump action conversion concept showed up in one or more experimental military rifles during the 1915-1918 period, as an interim step in developing a self-loading military rifle.  If you look in Hatcher's Notebook or The Book of the Garand, you will see a photo or 2 of actions that operate much like this one.

My thoughts on this one are that the maker saw those 1917-era photos and built one just to see if he could do it.  The smooth operating Krag action would be far easier to work with than any Mauser or Springfield.  And the Krag design eliminated the need to make the sleeve work with a Mauser-type "load from the top" box magazine. 

The comb on the stock tells us the intended operator was right-handed and the sharp comb hints at it being a relatively recent design.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I just spent an hour going through the Krag listings on 'gunbroker'.  I have to do that once in a while, though it always makes my blood pressure rise.  There is a guy in Cazenovia, N.Y., and others, who has been listing the same 'bubba junk' for years.
  There are a scary number of "Bogus" carbines and sights for sale, that are billed as the real thing and listed for big bucks.
  What I find especially regrettable are two individuals, one in Florida and one in Oregon, who are scraping Krags at an alarming pace and auctioning the parts on 'fleabay' and 'gunbreaker' at high prices.  I find this a lot more objectionable that a gunsmithing experiment of 85 years ago!  Just MHO.

(Here is the sad fate of a Michigan National Guard Model 1899 Remington-Lee).
  Unfortunately, it is priced too high on gunbroker for me to consider buying it for a restoration project).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint