Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Custom big bores on Krag actions (Read 3936 times)
cjwils
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Custom big bores on Krag actions
Mar 14th, 2015 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
I was browsing the upcoming Amoskeag auction, and I noticed lot 549, a 450 Alaskan on a Danish model 1889 action made in 1916, and lot 1251, a .405 Winchester on a model 1898 action.  I am not an expert on those calibers, but I wonder if the Krag action is safe with such powerful loads. I understand that the 450 Alaskan is equivalent to the .458 Winchester Magnum, which means that someone made a Krag into a gun that would be at home on an elephant hunt.
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Custom big bores on Krag actions
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Been thinking of a .375 Win or 38-55 in one of my Krags as they are legal for deer here in Ohio now.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Custom big bores on Krag actions
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 7:09am
Print Post  
I am not 100 % sure of the provenance on the 2 US Krags in the Amoskeag Auction converted to .405 WCF & .35 WCF.  They are from the Mark Benenson  estate.   

An elderly acquaintance, MD by by profession, was a serious hunter, trips to Africa, Canada & Alaska, etc.  He had 2 very similar Krags although IIRC both had darker finishes.  The .405 was Doc's back-up & bad weather big bear rifle.  The .35 was his wife's African antelope rifle.  I once heard her say "it will shoot all the way through an elephant sideways.  How much more power do you need?"  I shot both rifles & both worked as intended. If I needed a serious bear rifle, I would strongly consider either of the WCF rifles.

The magazines of both rifles had been reworked to allow the use of .405 & .35 WCF cartridges, which have slightly longer OALs than issue Krag cartridges.  I do not know if the rifles in MB's collection were once the ones owned by Doc & Mrs, but much of their estate has been circulating for the past 15 to 20 years.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint