Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
It's A Jungle Out There! (Read 9185 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

It's A Jungle Out There!
Mar 9th, 2015 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
In my youth, I learned there was a lot of Fakery and Misrepresentation in Krags that were "For Sale".  Cut-down Rifles were routinely 'Hawked' as "Cavalry Carbines" and "Philippine Constabulary Carbines".

It is the collector/buyer's responsibility to be cautious and educate himself before rushing into dangerous ground.
  It is over 111 years since Springfield Armory built any new Krags - 100 years since any Krags were altered into 'School Rifles - Almost 100 years since Krags saw WW1 Service - and about 85 years since the DCM sold Krags to the Public.  (The sudden appearance and sale of CMP Krags is about 5 years in the past).
  The age and condition of our Krag 'population' has created a demand for parts and accessories that are quite expensive and not always available.  There are reproduction Stocks, Hand-guards, small screws, Barrels, cleaning rods, brass muzzle cover/sight protectors, and front-sight blades available from some vendors.  These items serve a purpose, but, when used and not honestly represented, can easily fool the unwary.
  Carbine rear-sights are particularly valuable and loose ones fetch a lot of money.  Yesterday, I was looking at the S&S Firearms on-line catalog.
  In the past, I knew they had altered some model 1896 Rifle sights into "replica carbine sights.  To the experienced eye, these machined and re-marked sights are pretty obvious.  Yesterday, I noticed, S&S Firearms is using original parts to make some replica model 1898 and 1902 Carbine sights.
  IMHO, it is regrettable they are doing this and marking them with little "C"s.  S&S  Firearms is certainly not trying to defraud anyone, but, there will be confusion to some collectors.  Educate yourself on fine details and Buyer Beware.  (Attached photos of bogus replicas).

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: It's A Jungle Out There!
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 6:50am
Print Post  
All appear to be done with 98 carbine bases.  To my knowledge, none of the 98 carbine eyepieces got upgraded (ground) to make 1902 sights.  But I suppose they could have ground the C off too.  The placement of the C on the eyepiece is higher than that of an original 98C sight that I have.  Approx .136 from the top bevel to the top of the C on one I have.  It's almost down where the curve starts up toward the eyepiece.  I can't see their C good enough, but the Cs on this sight have a single serif.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: It's A Jungle Out There!
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
It appears to me S&S Firearms has used Rifle rear-sight bases and machined or ground the elevation ramps to Carbine sight base height.  The top of the ramps are shiny, suggesting metal has been removed.  I can not tell if they used 1898 or 1902 sight bases without seeing leaf-spring and attachment method.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint