Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 OALW 82 (Read 12984 times)
kw64
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

OALW 82
Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I have a model 1899 Krag carbine that has a small oval plate screwed into the bottom of the cheek part of the stock, where a sling swivel would go normally, that says "OALW 82".  Has anyone seen such a marking on a krag before.  I have no doubt it was applied after it left service, but have no idea wha it might mean or refer to.  Any ideas?

thank you Smiley

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: OALW 82
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 12:50am
Print Post  
These guns, frequently called "Red Ryders" by the late Krag guru Bill Mook, due to the peculiar coloration of many of their stocks, were "put togther", some faked, all at least refinished, by a man in the Midwest named Ostberg/Ostburg. I cannot recall his first name - I think it was Stan or Sidney, but am not certain.

OALW stands for Ostberg Armory & Locomotive Works. He f**ked over Lionel Trains as well. While often found in very nice condititon, the carbines bear a certain stigma amongst most collectors, because they are not original SA work.

A bittersweet "plus" is that he DID mark his work, in contrast to others who have just put fakes together and sold them to the highest bidder.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 9:35am
Print Post  
"OA&LW" kind of sounds like the "Mitchell's Mausers" of Krags. Thanks for the history, Dick.

IP Logged

kw64
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Thank you.  the carbine looks correct as far as I can tell, (but I am not expert at all), with the exception of the small oval plate with the OALW 82 and the shiny butt plate.  The sights look right and the stock has the cartouches in the right place.  It has the 1899 cocking piece without the knob.  Not sure whether to keep it or not.  It was listed without any photos showing the OALW 82 plate.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 2:32am
Print Post  
'kw64': I have no idea about what you paid for it or what your intent is regarding this model 1899 carbine (correct collection piece or 'correct looking shooter').

Perhaps if you posted some detail photos, you would get useful feedback regarding its correctness and value. This might help your decision regarding keeping this Krag.

IP Logged

kw64
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Thank you.  the carbine looks correct as far as I can tell, (but I am not expert at all), with the exception of the small oval plate with the OALW 82 and the shiny butt plate.  The sights look right and the stock has the cartouches in the right place.  It has the 1899 cocking piece without the knob.  Not sure whether to keep it or not.  It was listed without any photos showing the OALW 82 plate.

IP Logged

kw64
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
To answer your question it would be a stretch to call myself a collector, but I do like period accurate pieces.  However, probably not down to the level that some real collectors want.  I have posted some photos and would appreciate your opinion on this carbine.  To my uneducated eye everything looks good except the OAWL plate and the shiney butt plate.  thanks

Ken

IP Logged

kw64
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
To answer your question it would be a stretch to call myself a collector, but I do like period accurate pieces.  However, probably not down to the level that some real collectors want.  I have posted some photos and would appreciate your opinion on this carbine.  To my uneducated eye everything looks good except the OAWL plate and the shiney butt plate.  thanks

Ken

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
'kw64': Your Stock and hand-guard look like nice Italian walnut ones. I believe your Model 1899 carbine, #235485, was built around November, 1899. The 'knob-less' striker-rod is probably correct for your carbine's number range. The Stock 'cartouche', dated 1901, probably indicates the Stock was switched by someone or during a rebuild. Your 1901 rear-sight is a rifle base that someone has stamped with a "C". A 1901 carbine base is marked to 5 (500 yards) and the "C" doesn't look right on your base or the edge of the leaf. A carbine leaf goes up to 23 (2,300 yards). More pictures will allow more observations.

(photo of a real 1901 carbine sight attached).
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2015 at 12:47pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

kw64
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
thanks.  Here is another photo of the rear sight.  I am not sure how to attach more than one photo per post.  I think I paid too much for this carbine:  $1,600 but the sellar is willing to take it back.  They specialize in cowboy guns, not old military pieces.  I suspect it is too much a patch work of pieces to keep.  Thoughts?

IP Logged

kw64
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
k

IP Logged

kw64
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
OK, more photos

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
'kw64': Your 1901 rear-sight is all rifle sight and falsely marked with "C"s. Your rifle sight leaf has a built in drift correction. A real carbine sight leaf does not angle for drift. (The inside edges of the carbine leaf are parallel to the outside edges). A correct 1901 carbine rear-sight costs about $250.

It is hard to tell. Some of your photos appear like there is some refinish of metal or wood. It could be just the 'Flash'.

IMHO - What I see is worth $700-$800 (value of parts). I would give it a higher value, if I saw it in person and saw that every thing appeared to be the original looking finish. The picture of your front/sight muzzle area looks good, as does the action. What is the condition of the bore?

The 'OALW' plate, you mention, bothers me. It sounds like it is recessed in a sling swivel mortise. You have a real carbine stock. However, I don't like carbine stocks that have been fitted for a butt sling-swivel. You have a nice stock, but, the '1901 cartouche' date does not match the acceptance period (1899-1900) of carbine #235XXX. It is a pretty looking carbine.

I hope this is helpful.

IP Logged

kw64
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Thanks,  added a photo of the OAWL piece.  The bore looks good.  But I do think I will return it.  I don't like the idea of a faked rear sight, especially for what I paid for the gun.  Rubs me the wrong way I guess.  Good learning experience, and still in the market for a "correct" carbine......

IP Logged

kw64
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 1:24am
Print Post  
Never cease to have questions..... the Poyer book states on page 168 that "the model 1901 carbine rear sight was originally assembled to all Model 1899 carbines after serial #345,000....."  That begs the question of what rear sight was used prior to serial number 345,000?  Earlier he states that the 1898 rear sight was added to 1899 carbines between serial numbers 242,000 and 285,000.  So what was used before on the 1899 carbines.  The one I have has a serial number of 235,xxx.  Thank you

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint