Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Is anything right about this Krag? (Read 3604 times)
butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Is anything right about this Krag?
Apr 19th, 2015 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
This "22 inch barrel Krag" is for sale on gunbroker by a Cal. gun shop. Fortunately, the front sight will alert most to it not being a carbine. I am suspicious of everything about it.

The late receiver and all metal looks re-blued. The original cosmoline looks pretty fresh. The rear sight looks like a 1902 'top' on an 1898 'bottom'. There's something mighty suspicious about that 'proud' wood and fresh looking 'cartouche'.

It would be a pretty looking 'shooter', but, not at $800 'Start'.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Is anything right about this Krag?
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
That butt plate screw is not centered and screwed down completely.  The cartouche sure looks sharp and new for being 115+ years old too.  That serial number is not within the established range for a 98 carbine (the suspected high numbers) is it?  Above all, the barrel with that 1902 sight is a sure deal breaker for me... especially at $800.  But still, I'm sure there are unsuspecting dupes out there who have no idea and will buy the rifle because they think they're getting the deal of the century!  Just like the idiots on American Pickers who valued a 98 sporter cutoff at $1250.

Tragic!

IP Logged

gnoahhh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Overall pretty wonky. I would give $300-350 for it as a shooter, if I needed another one of them.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
While it certainly is NOT a real carbine, let alone a real 1898 carbine, I'm not so sure, after looking at ALL of the pictures, that the wood is fake (look at the triggerguard shot for example). I have a cartouche about that nice.

Rear sight does look like a mixture, though. Front sight is clearly wrong - wonder what muzzle face looks like? I'm thinking it must be an 1898 rifle (cut) married with a carbine stock.  That is one of the very highest receivers known - per Farmer's book.

I wouldn't pay that price, but I'll bet someone does. FWIW, I have zero knowledge of the shop involved - but the guy's attitude turns me off.

Just my $.02.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Yes, that stock perplexes me. It just looks too good and the butt plate is way undersize. There is a lot of blarney in the description (i.e. 'original grease') and the chamber shows 'bluing'. The lateness of the serial number is interesting.

IP Logged

bshort
KCA Forum Member

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
I'm sure glad I came across this group!  I've been sifting through the posts as to "what is what" and referring back to gunbroker and watching my jaw hit the floor.  There are countless fake carbines on gunbroker, even one starting at $2200!  Now the real work begins...

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
'bshort': Welcome to the KCA Forum! I appreciate a guy who studies and reads up on Krags, before blundering into a bad purchase.

IP Logged

kragluver
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2015 at 3:38am
Print Post  
I saw an 1896 Carbine at the Fort Worth Cabela's on Friday. It looked like heck - much worse for the wear when compared to this one, but with its price tag of $800, it was likely actually worth it:)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint