Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
FNG with 95 carbine. (Read 2400 times)
Newly
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

FNG with 95 carbine.
Apr 28th, 2015 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Greetings Guys. I have a 1895 carbine serial #26580 and was wondering if it's on the SRS list. The saddle ring has been removed and stock inlet filled. Swivel added to the butt and carbine band replaced with a rifle band w/swivel. Has 1902 rifle sight and hand guard, which was cut to fit the shorter stock. Anyone seen these modifications before? The barrel and receiver under the stock had pits that have been repaired (cleaned and blued).Lots of dirt and oil underneath so my guess the stock hasn't been off in decades.
Blue maybe 75% on the barrel/receiver. Bore is bright with pits the first inch or so forward the chamber.
The front sight and muzzle are correct, barrel 22 inches,but I thought maybe someone shortened it from the chamber end to give it the appearance of a carbine. I took a chance and bought it. Once I removed the stock and cleaned the grime away I could see the index mark and P. The pits under the barrel were only where a carbine stock would cover them. The exposed metal has no pitting.
The cartouche is gone, probably removed when the ring inlet was filled. There is a barely visible P behind the trigger guard. The mods appear to have been done by someone skilled in the craft, but where it was done is always the question. Any thoughts? It would be nice to know if there were other carbines out there with the same mods which would point to an arsenal rebuild rather than a local gunsmiths work. Regardless, what fun it is to speculate.
Good hunting.
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

98src
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: FNG with 95 carbine.
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Not listed, but most likely a real carbine.

26572 96C  07/31/22 Raritan Arsenal (sold)
  26591 96C  07/14/00 Troop F 2nd Cav (C&R @ SA)

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
"Newly": Nice looking metal. I'm sure the modifications were for 'Hunting' and not U.S. arsenal/armory work.

If it were mine, I would pick up an original 1896 carbine barrel-band, carbine sling-ring/bar with screws, an 1896 rifle sight, and a reproduction 1896 carbine hand-guard. I would remove the sling bar patch and use that wood to patch where the butt swivel was added. I'd put it all together into an obviously restored carbine for 'shooting' and have fun. Maybe someday, you will be lucky and find an original '96 carbine rear sight and hand-guard.

(p.s. Your 1902 rear sight, butt swivel, and barrel-band & swivel look nice and are worth at least $100).

IP Logged

Newly
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
98src: thanks for checking, what are the odds, kind of like a lottery number.
Butlersrangers: your right, restoration is the way to go if it's not been through any official upgrade. I've been looking for parts online and should begin purchasing them soon. I don't know if I can remove the ring patch and use it to patch the swivel though, that's kinda beyond my knowledge base. Picked up some dies, just need some brass. Have a couple of good bullet molds which will be the only type bullet I'll shoot in it as long as I have it.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 12:49am
Print Post  
'Newly': Enjoy shooting your Krag. It is quite usable, as is. Take your time finding missing original parts. It's cheaper when you're patient.

Joe DeChristopher and the gentlemen listed in the KCA Classifieds are good sources. Also, you might get lucky at a gun show.

I suggested removing and re-purposing that 'sling-bar patch' because it looks like a good wood match.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint