Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Found another 1896 Cadet stock (Read 5923 times)
madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Found another 1896 Cadet stock
May 27th, 2015 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Or rather, one that used to be.  (You need to Login to view media files and links) Not a big deal, but interesting.  I'm not sure I see a band spring filler.  Wouldn't be the first time I've seen something that was wishful thinking.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2015 at 1:04am by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Found another 1896 Cadet stock
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2015 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
And yet another!  The serial # on the rifle in the stock is very close to what one of the original 1896 Cadet rifles would have been, but I can't say for sure it was one, and my pockets aren't deep enough for the asking price.  (You need to Login to view media files and links); I could be wrong, but I am of the opinion that the Cadet rifles were all, except the museum specimens, built on 1895 marked receivers, for the sake of uniformity.  Salter has one such rifle here:  (You need to Login to view media files and links); If you got the bucks, buy em both and switch stocks to get yourself a used to be 1896 Cadet rifle, or maybe you can talk him into making the switch!
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2015 at 11:01pm by madsenshooter »  

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2015 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I looked through the Krags (amongst other eye candy there), and I saw three 1896 rifles with the filled ramrod channel.  Interesting!

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2015 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
madsenshooter wrote on May 27th, 2015 at 11:39pm:
Or rather, one that used to be.  (You need to Login to view media files and links) Not a big deal, but interesting.  I'm not sure I see a band spring filler.  Wouldn't be the first time I've seen something that was wishful thinking.

Bob, the filler is VERY clear, though the color match is not the greatest. Your swap idea is intriguing - but far, far beyond my means.

I'd also advise any one who wants that combo to move quickly before seller finds out what they have stumbled onto, do it themselves, and bump the price 5X.

I really like their new layout - the old one sucked. Someone does need to tell them how to measure Krag barrels though - 29" (used repeatedly) doesn't make them look too swift.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2015 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on May 31st, 2015 at 1:09pm:
I looked through the Krags (amongst other eye candy there), and I saw three 1896 rifles with the filled ramrod channel.  Interesting!

Filled cleaning rod channels are no big deal - very common. Filled band-spring cuts, however, are another matter entirely (assuming it is a genuine fill and not simply a sliver of walnut stuck in to fake the rare stock). It would seem that the M1896 Cadet rifles probably had 1895 receivers in the 23/24K range.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Yea, I like the new layout too.  The bandspring filler really shows up in his pics.  Good enough to make me think the first one I linked to on facebook may not have been one, I see it is right in line with the U.  On the facebook one, I thought I was seeing one slightly higher.  22249 isn't far from my parkerized Krag.  I see it has a 96 sideplate, just as the parked Krag does, whereas those I have seen in the serial # range Dick mentioned retain their model 92 sideplates.  But who knows when or where sideplates may have been changed.  Even serial #45, which should have been one of the rifles sent to governors, has had its sideplate changed.  The 96 that's on there now is an interesting specimen.  I see the illusion of filler near the back of the forearm, but not up near the upper band.  The stock looks like a thin wrist to me.  Maybe one made before they increased the thickness.  It'd be interesting to see if it had the lightening cuts or not.  Also noted was a bit of cast off to 92 stocks that 96 & 98s don't appear to have.  I'd already noted that on my 92/96 rifles.  There's more than a sliver of walnut in there Dick, the hole is plugged too, but of course, that could be faked.  An 1896 cartouche would be telling, if it weren't for someone faking those also.

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Funny, that sure looks like a thick wrist stock to me. Anyone else?

If so, how does a thick-wrist stock get a rod fill????

The strip is hard to see, but it is there, full length. The sliver (bad choice of words) that I referred to was the band spring filler - which is obvious, even in the small view(s) as the color match isn't all that good.

Faking an un-modified cadet stock would (due to absence of butt swivel) be quite difficult, but faking a converted cadet stock would be very simple - all that needs to be done is acquire a 92/96 and add the spring filler - voila! Everything else has been done for you.

That's a VERY strange piece, which poses as many questions as it offers answers. At this point, IMHO, it could be real, or faked.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
You can probably tell thick from thin better than me Dick. I might not have my widescreen set right. Your observation is interesting.  We know he got a lot of attention when I noted the band spring filler on one he had some time ago. It wasn't so obvious.  Could be the increase in price is to cover someone's labor.  Hate to say that publicly, so I'll make a disclaimer.  Someone else may have done it before he got it!

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2015 at 11:39am
Print Post  
The 92/96 linked to in the first post is for sale, with a bunch of ammo!  (You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint