Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Rear sight question (Read 2389 times)
1911Ron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Rear sight question
May 28th, 2015 at 9:30am
Print Post  
I have doing some research and I have identified that I have a 1901 rear sight on my 1903 Rifle.  My question is, is the sight correct for my Rifle, or should it have a 1902 sight on it? If I want/ need a 1902 sight where should I look for one?  Thanks Ron

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Re: Rear sight question
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2015 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
It is quite possible, even probable, that your rifle has the correct sight.

If you were to change it, you would also need to replace the handguard, as they are not even close as to cutout location.

The 1901 is, admittedly, not the greatest sight for a battle rifle as it is overly complex for that purpose, but, for civilian use on the range, it is excellent. I would strongly recommend leaving your (very nice) rifle exactly as you found it.

As to the second part of your question, Ebay and Gunbroker are good sources, as are any of the parts suppliers listed at (You need to Login to view media files and links).

IP Logged

1911Ron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2015 at 2:02am
Print Post  
I kind of figured as much on the sight thought I would check, never considered the hand guard portion. Thanks! Oh and I intend to leave it as is! Smiley
Dick Hosmer wrote on May 28th, 2015 at 1:27pm:
It is quite possible, even probable, that your rifle has the correct sight.

If you were to change it, you would also need to replace the handguard, as they are not even close as to cutout location.

The 1901 is, admittedly, not the greatest sight for a battle rifle as it is overly complex for that purpose, but, for civilian use on the range, it is excellent. I would strongly recommend leaving your (very nice) rifle exactly as you found it.

As to the second part of your question, Ebay and Gunbroker are good sources, as are any of the parts suppliers listed at (You need to Login to view media files and links).

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2015 at 4:30am
Print Post  
I believe later use, by U.S. Military, of Krag 1901 and 1902 rear sights was tied to developments with 1903 Springfield rear sights.

The early proto-types and 'Rod Bayonet' version of the 1903 Springfield had a rear sights very similar to the 1902 Krag sight. There was therefore a preference that Krags in use by the U.S. Army have the 1902 rear sight.

This changed when the 1903 Springfield underwent alteration to a knife bayonet and a new rear-sight. The new rear-sight had a lot of similarity to the Buffington inspired 1901 Krag sight. It then became the preference that Krags in use by the U.S. Army have the 1901 sight. The Krags with 1902 rear-sights were directed for National guard use.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint