Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 krag feeding question (Read 8455 times)
HawkEyeEarl
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

krag feeding question
Apr 8th, 2015 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Krag Collectors, Smiley

the stock show 1903 and the serial also I believe.
I have a krag feeding question.
I have not had this long.
I loaded some ammo and I shot it the other day.
it will not push the last round up far enough so it can be picked up by the bolt.
usually 4 will feed.

when I got it would not feed at all.
Someone had taken it apart and did not capture the rod for the magazine properly. I reassembled it so the feeder would press against the shells when closed.

Any common problem to look for?
the rod looks just a little bent, I had to peck it gently with a plastic hammer to put it back in. cannot see that it would have ever had more 'spring' though maybe it did.

How to fix or what to replace?

It seemed to shoot okay otherwise.
I did not group as well it as I did the gew98 8mm I took the same day. But there will be more trips.

thanks
HawkEyeEarl

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Re: krag feeding question
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 4:26am
Print Post  
Looks possible your magazine sideplate isn't fully seated. Take it off, clean out anything interfering with it, and reinstall flush.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 4:37am
Print Post  
'HawkEyeEarl': Welcome to the KCA Forum. I am sorry about your cartridge feed problem.

I would recommend that you take your barreled action out of the stock and remove the left side-plate. This will allow you to check the travel, smoothness, and strength of the follower assembly. You should also check the inside of the side-plate for dents, damage and dirt.

The cartridges in your photo suggest you are using both Round Nose and Spitzer projectiles. My Krags have been tolerant of Spitzers, but, not all Krags are.

You could possibly have a Model 1896 side-plate on your model 1898 (this can cause feed problems). It never hurts to make sure the follower-carrier assembly is clean and lightly lubricated, especially where the flat spring tip powers the cam of the follower-carrier. That curved flat spring both tensions the magazine-gate and powers the follower.

(Attached photos show how follower-carrier projects out of action with side-plate removed).

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:51pm by butlersrangers »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
'HawkEyeEarl': Here is a picture of a couple of my model 1898 Krag side-plates. They both have the same 'finish wear' on the inside, which indicates how the case rim and shoulder make contact and travel on their way to the bolt-face. (I do not have a model 1896 side-plate, to compare. I do know, it is different and believe it has a thinner 'tongue' where it inserts into the receiver).

BTW - In your photo, your magazine cut-off lever is 'down'. This is the position that blocks the feed of cartridges from the magazine on Model 1898 Krags and updated Model 1896 Krags. The lever should be 'up' to allow the feed of cartridges to the Bolt.

IP Logged

HawkEyeEarl
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 1:27am
Print Post  
I appreciate the advice.
I will look on the left side and clean it.
I have not done that.
I will let you know what I see.
Smiley

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
'HawkEyeEarl': I looked carefully at a couple of my model 1898 Krag actions and compared them with your photo.

Your magazine-door does not seem to open fully and your follower/carrier does not position the same as mine.

Possibly, your magazine-door hinge-pin is bent, near the front of the magazine-door. The hinge-pin, when dismounted, can be easily straightened with a plastic mallet and hardwood or brass blocks. The pin is soft steel, like a nail.

Note - It is easier to re-assemble the magazine-door, carrier/follower, spring and hinge-pin, if your have the side-plate off during assembly. (You don't have to 'fight' the tensioned follower).

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2015 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I can't say for sure, but could also be an earlier follower someone has put in a 98.  It can be done, I've found.

IP Logged

HawkEyeEarl
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2015 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
That pin is bent where you say.
It is good to know you can put it back together easier when the side plate is off.
Good information here.
HawkEyeEarl Smiley

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2015 at 12:39am
Print Post  
When re-assembling the magazine gate (with the action out of the stock), you can put the spring, follower/carrier assembly, and magazine gate in their relative positions and compress the spring with an appropriate size "C" clamp. You slowly tighten the "C" clamp (spanning the magazine-door and left side of the receiver) until the spring is compressed and all the hinge holes line-up. If the gate 'hinge pin' is straight and all burrs are removed, the pin can easily be tapped into place with a small plastic mallet. (A couple squares of masking tape on the "C" Clamp contacting surfaces should prevent marring).

The hinge pin can be checked for straightness, burrs, and alignment by trial assembly without the spring.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
It is hard to diagnose Krag magazine feeding problems by description, without actually seeing the culprit in action. Yesterday, at a gun-show and on the KCA Forum (JWWFM's thread), I observed similar problems being described.

I am submitting this message to bring a relevant thread to the top of the posts.

IP Logged

HawkEyeEarl
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - May 13th, 2015 at 1:19am
Print Post  
I have taken it apart and cleaned it and reassembled it. I did not notice any obvious problem. It did have a little varnish like gunk. I came back to look at this thread and pictures. I will shoot again and see where I am. I wonder if the spring is not quite as fully engaging as it once was. Not sure. I will get back after I have shot it again. Smiley

IP Logged

HawkEyeEarl
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2015 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Well my cleaning did not really improve feeding 5 rounds.
It feeds 4 rounds pretty well.
It feeds 160 grain lead flat points.
Just does not push far enough to feed that 5th round.
This load is about 1625 fps.
I did not hit well with it.
I shot my enfield 303 british no 4 mk 1 much better.
But the 303 was loaded normal factory and reloads.
I was trying out light lead loads on the krag.
I will try some 1925 fps lead loads next.
And then some normal jacketed reloads for it.
I am anxious to this see this tighten up as well as some other battle rifles.
I might try to straighten that pin next.
Thanks
Earl
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2015 at 1:37am by HawkEyeEarl »  

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - May 31st, 2015 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
The magazine parts don't cost too much, even on ebay. Maybe you should buy a spare magazine-gate spring and hinge pin and switch parts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint