Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
I need your opinion on my 1898 Krag stock (Read 3902 times)
ncsammy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

I need your opinion on my 1898 Krag stock
Jun 4th, 2015 at 11:17am
Print Post  
I’m new to the Krag Collectors’ Forum, but I’ve been collecting US and foreign military rifles for many years.  I have a question about my 1898 Krag rifle, which has a walnut stock that is lighter in color than most I’ve see.  I understand that some Krags were made with lighter color Italian walnut, but I’m not sure if mine is one of them.  I would appreciate hearing from the Krag experts on this.  Thank you in advance.

Sam

IP Logged

ncsammy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: I need your opinion on my 1898 Krag stock
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Pictures of my Krag can be seen at:

(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Dick Hosmer
KCA Official Member

Collector of Springfield
Arms, 1865-1915

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
To my eye at least, that is not one of the light Italian walnut stocks, which have an almost unique "yellow" tone to them, nor is that the period in which such stocks occur.

I THINK it is a genuine period stock, but the pics (which are well-chosen and well-lit) are awfully blurry. It very well may have been chemically cleaned and re-oiled, however, as it appears somewhat on the light side of "normal".

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
"ncsammy": Welcome to the KCA Forum. I consider myself a Student of Krags, not an "Expert". (I look at them a lot, pay attention and try to learn from my fellow collectors).

You have a wonderful looking Model 1898 Krag that I would love to own and study first hand. IMHO - I do not believe your light colored stock is Italian walnut. I do not see the distinctive grain, burl, or tiger stripe that is usually present. From my observation, the Italian Krag stocks usually have 'cartouche' dates of 1899, 1900, or 1901. The grain appearance and 1903 'cartouche' of your light colored stock suggest American black walnut to me. (The 'seasoned stock wood shortage' was probably over by 1902-03).

It is possible there was some very expert 'refinish' work done on your Krag. It appears to me from your photos, someone may have 'chased' (engraved) the lettering and serial number. The lettering appears bare and bright. It should have the same metal finish as the rest of the receiver.

Attached are a couple of photos contrasting some light-yellowish Italian walnut Krag stocks with darker North American ones.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Contrast:

'ncsammys' receiver with shiny markings compared to a receiver with finish on markings.

IP Logged

ncsammy
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your very helpful comments, guys.  As to the lettering, I believe a previous owner filled in the stamped letters on the receiver with white-out or some other fast drying liquid to enhance the writing.  I've seen this on other (mostly foreign) military rifles.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
The white-out application is pretty common if someone was trying to keep a photo record of specific guns.

IP Logged

1911Ron
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2015 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Beautiful Rifle!  Thanks for sharing!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint