Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Magazine cutoff lever. (Read 6062 times)
usmc73
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Magazine cutoff lever.
Jul 5th, 2015 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
I have just purchased my first Krag rifle for my collection.I am in the process of cleaning her up and am wondering if the magazine cutoff lever should be able to move freely up and down.It seems after freeing the lever shaft,cleaning and oiling the device that the small pin located at the top of the lever is frozen in place,and not allowing the lever to rotate freely up and down.It is in the down position now.Is this position for single loading,or is it correct to load and shoot the entire magazine?I have really enjoyed it since I received it 3 weeks ago.It is now ready for a range session except for the magazine cutoff lever.I appreciate all of your thoughts and comments. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Magazine cutoff lever.
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
'usmc73': You did not say which model Krag you have.

(Early model 1892 and early model 1896 Krags had cut-off levers that were "Up" to be 'single shots' and "Down" to be 'repeaters').

Most Krags will have later cut-off levers that are "Up" (with polished lever surface showing, so 'Non-Coms' will catch you) when cartridges will feed. When the lever is "Down", cartridge feed is blocked.

The cut-off lever should rotate with just moderate effort. It is that spring-loaded "detent pin" that provides friction, so that the cut-off is not accidentally switched.

It sounds like your "detent pin" is binding (from old grease, rust, or crud) and jammed in place. Wet the pin with some penetrating oil and lightly tap the pin inward with a brass punch to free it up.

(Never take the cut-off assembly completely apart. The pin is staked into place and intended to stay 'put together'. Penetrating oil and pushing movement will loosen the detent pin).

Photos showing one early and two later cut-off levers. Also, instructions for removing cut-off.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Model 1898 Krag with cut-off lever in 'cartridge feed' position.

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login to view media files and links)

IP Logged

usmc73
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Thank you all for your tech support.I have a model 1898 Krag with a serial number that places manufacturing date as June/July 1899.It is a Infantry rifle.The initials and date inside the rectangular box is correct,with the year 1902.A circle p firing proff is visable on the underside behind the trigger guard.The blueing is at least 80% original,and the stock finish is original and in very good condition also.I would post pictures but at my age,I do not have the technical expertise to do so.As to the serial number it is 179,xxx.the barrel lands display very well.but there is some pitting through out the bore(very light).I will try the trick of creating some pressure on the pin to release it.The pin has been soaking for 2 days now.I will let you know how this comes out.Thanks again.

IP Logged

usmc73
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks again for the help gentlemen.I now have movement on the pin after soaking for 2 Days in kroil oil.I have used your technique to apply the pressure with a brass drift pin,and the pin seems to have released and is exposed.I will treat with some high pressure grease on the cutoff shaft and reinsert the cutoff lever into the receiver.I can now go to the range with my reloads and see how the old girl fires,and groups. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint