Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 30-40 Krag handed down from father, need info (Read 7901 times)
Doug R
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

30-40 Krag handed down from father, need info
Jul 10th, 2015 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
New to group and Krags. My father gave me one several years ago. I've shot it a few times. So I'm just wondering if someone can give me some more insight as to when this was made, what's it worth etc... Thanks for your time

IP Logged

FredC
KCA Official Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 30-40 Krag handed down from father, need info
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Nice looking sporter. The more knowledgeable regulars must be on vacation. There were some name gunsmiths that did good work in days gone by and there rifles command a premium. I think real clean original rifles price below those. Nicely done sporters like yours with clean bores and no issues will be less. I would guess around $500.00.
The 1898 receivers were used in rifles till 1903 from what I think I remember being discussed here. The original rear sight, hand guard and stock would give you more clues.

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 7:03am
Print Post  
It's pretty nicely done.  Buehler safety, maybe Bishop stock.  Different trigger, different bolt handle, Remington rear sight.  Nice thick sling, maybe a Turner?  I'd go along with $500, it would depend on just what a potential buyer was looking for.

IP Logged

Magilla26
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Nice rifle!  From your serial number, It looks like it was made in 1902.

IP Logged

Tom Butts
KCA Forum Admin
KCA Official Member

Krag enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 2:25am
Print Post  
Yes, it is a pretty nice sporter.  But, not to sound like a downer, I would have to disagree with the value.  I would say that $500 is quite high for this specimen.  It has been cut down,sporterized, the receiver has been drilled and tapped for the scope.  There is literally nothing left of collectible value here.  Yes, it will likely be a good accurate and fun shooter, but not a valuable Krag.  I would put it's value closer to $250. 
I am more of a realist.

have fun shooting it and enjoy it for what it is now.

Best regards,
Tom

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Gotta side with Tom here today, sorry Bob.

Maybe as high as $300, but you'd have to find someone who wants a cutdown sporter... one as modified as this.  I'm guessing that most would rather have an original "As Issued" Krag these days.  Just MHO

IP Logged

cdagnese
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
I'll third Tom's estimate.

IP Logged

Luke
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2016 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
I just spent $300.00 for one just like this one, then paid $100. to have it shipped to Alaska.
I was thrilled to get it (gunbroker) at that price.
When you buy a sporterized rifle like this, you're getting a tool that has a long and meaningful history, not just another toy made in China Smiley

IP Logged

savagebrother
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 1:28am
Print Post  
Mmm maybe some you can find that are thrown together for $250.00. But like the rest if there done right and there are lots of pictures at all angles and a good bore $500.00 and then some for these rifles.  I know I been looking at them for 4 or more months.
They were selling these guns to the public for $2.69 and with all the surplus ammo many 1000's were converted to sporters.  Many of these not only have there military histories but very colorful hunting histories which for me are just as important too.
So when I hunt with mine I'll get to return to a simpler time and wonder if the guy that hunted with it back then was as thrilled with hunting with this rifle as I am.  There was a time when sportorized military rifles were all we had we could buy to hunt with or shoot.
I understand your fascination and love of these military rifles but I don't think you should belittle those of us who carry that same enthusiasm as you do for the straight military rifles and carbines.
I think their all  Fastenating in their own way.
SB

IP Logged

gnoahhh
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 2:27am
Print Post  
No harm, no foul. I too appreciate sporters as much as originals. (Heck, I'll admit to probably liking sporters a bit more.)

I do have to agree with the $250-300 estimate though. Admittedly, the prices bandied about on Gunbroker would belie that, but look at how many of the higher priced ones actually sell. Not very many. I frequent live gun auctions quite a bit and it seems there's always a sporterized Krag or two offered up. Bubba'ed cut down rifles generally fetch $200 give or take, and ones with aftermarket stocks and 60's-vintage scope setups maybe another $100. That's real life valuation of non-original Krags.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
To me, there are several classes of altered Krags and the values increase substantially.  Maybe we can rank them from 0 to 10 and use decimal points for special efforts. 

The bottom of the barrel are those that my Dad said were "hacked on by the idiot son of the village blacksmith in the dark of the moon".  Those aren't worth much.  Call them Class 0.

Next, I would put the Bannerman jobs put together from parts, and maybe not parts from Krags.  Class 1, at best, with those points given for imagination. 

Then there are the basic alterations; shortened barrel but properly cut & crowned.  Front sight from an 03 or an aftermarket band sight, shortened stock.  Issue sights left on. I'd give them a 2.  A No-Drill receiver sight would add 1 point to the ranking.  Drilling the receiver for a scope mount takes away a point, maybe more.

Next I would put those with simple aftermarket stocks that were well done.  Add a point for a 1920s-era barrel band inside the stock, maybe attached to the front sling swivel.  I would put those in the 2 to 3 category.

Then there are the alterations that added a higher comb and a pistol grip to the military stock. To me, those are in a class by themselves.  Some are awful, but some are marvels of woodworking skill.  I tend to give the really good jobs 3 to 4 points.

Then there were sporters built with aftermarket stocks of high-end wood, like the Peerless stocks sold by Stoeger.  Those were drop-in stocks, but a world away from a Bishop or Fajen. If a bare-bones Bishop gets a 3. a Peerless gets a 5 or 6.

After that, to me, come the altered Krags that were done by very skilled craftsmen, both known and unknown.  What's the value of one marked "Griffin & Howe" or "Hoffman Arms Co."?  9?

The last 4 Amoskeag auctions have had 50 or more really high-end Krags, those worked over by masters, all in the 7 to 10 class.  Most of them came from Mark Beneson's estate.  Most sold for $800 to $1500 and all were bargains.

IP Logged

reincarnated
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
In my rant about altered Krags, I ran out of characters.  Where do "varmint" Krags fit in the valuation scale?  Hornets and Zippers and .22 Savage High Powers?  They are different from the alterations to .25/35.  I saw one altered to .30/30.  Why?

Another class, all by itself, are what I call "bear rifles".  I have seen 4 of them, all in either .35 WCF or .405 WCF.  All 4 had some work done on the magazine to make sure they would feed factory cartridges properly. All 4 had special sights.  I would give the least of them a 7.

While I'm ranting about altered Krags, what about school rifles and sorta-school rifles by Bannerman & Sedgely?  Where do they fit in? 

I'm one of those who consider the NRA carbines to be a military conversion.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2016 at 8:31pm by reincarnated »  

IP Logged

savagebrother
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #12 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 1:38am
Print Post  
The man I got mine from said he had had it for 20 years and that the man he bought it from from was 94 years old told him that this rifle was done by a very well known smith from back in the1920's
And from every thing I've looked at on my rifle he was telling me the truth. My trigger is sweet but it's the original krag trigger.
It was worth to me what I paid for it.
This was a great response for all the different krag said one could run into. Thanks for a great thread.
SB

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #13 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
The bottom line is:   you have a Krag that you love... one with some history and stories, and one that shoots well and is beautiful to look at.  There  is nothing bad there!  ALL Krags are good, and the value lies ultimately in the person who owns and loves it!

Take her out and bang away!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint