Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1898 "Carbines" Resizing Brass (Read 3294 times)
northwest hunter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

1898 "Carbines" Resizing Brass
Aug 6th, 2015 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Hi -

I am new to the board and trying to learn something about late serial number Krag "carbines" I have shot and reloaded for.  The first was a rough, clearly aftermarket W. Stokes Kirk type carbine S/N 478,704 with an 1898 marked receiver, and a light 1901 cartouche on sanded carbine stock.  The second is a much nicer, armory correct looking carbine stock with crisp cartouches, S/N 477,356 with JSA 1901 cartouche, 1898 receiver, and W. Stokes Kirk band front sight.  The interesting thing about both of these carbines is that both chambers size the shoulder of the cases back when fired, leaving a distinct sharp ring where the neck and shoulder come together.  When I resize the brass, this ring remains.  Neither my 1895 Winchester in 30 US nor my 1896 Krag rifle do this to the brass.  The tight chamber also makes closing the bolt difficult, especially on reloaded brass compared to factory loads, probably due to a little work hardening.  When reloaded rounds are fired in the correct chambers, they will fire form back to a full chamber shape somewhat, but the ring is still visible. 

My questions are:

1.  Why do these high serial number/surplus cut down carbines do this?  Did the aftermarket supplier have a bad chamber reamer, or is this found in some late Springfield made pieces as well?
2.  Is there an easy way to fix the chamber without removing and cutting the barrel after re-reaming, which would mess with the sight location in relation to the hand guard?
3.  Is there a safety issue with firing these rifles? 
4.  Is there a source of a new sight blade blank for the W. Stokes Kirk band type front sight?  Mine is too low, I could a new one but if one is out there which would drop in it would be easier.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: 1898 "Carbines" Resizing Brass
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
'northwest hunter' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

It is quite possible that your high serial number Krags were re-barreled with after-market barrels or re-cycled 1903 Springfield barrels. When the chambers were cut, possibly the reamer did not match the specs of arsenal reamers.

An easy solution would be to keep the cartridge cases fired in these "W. Stokes Kirk" Krags separate from cases fired in your other .30-40 rifles. When you reload these cases, back-off your F.L. Sizing Die, a turn or two, and neck-size only. This will prevent over-working the brass.

Pictures of your front-sights would allow better suggestions for replacement blades. I am assuming these "Quasi-carbines" are now shooting High and you desire a higher blade to lower your shot-groups?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint