Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Krag Accuracy (Read 5029 times)
Rick H.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Krag Accuracy
Aug 28th, 2015 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Hi All:  I restored a Krag rifle and installed a new Criterion barrel on it.  It turned out quite nice but I would like to know if anyone else has done this and what type of accuracy you ended up with?  I should say I only shoot jacketed bullets thru mine usually 155 or 168 Amax.  I have no feeding problems.  Right now I am using 36.5 grs of Varget and these chrono at around 2050 fps to 2100 fps.  With this load I can only do 2" to 3" groups at 100 yards.

Thank for any advice......Rick H.

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Re: Krag Accuracy
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Hi Rick,

Krags are like women...  each one is unique!  Every Krag likes what it likes and not all like the same ammo.  I shoot Hornady 220 gr RN bullets over 40.0 grains of 4350 and a magnum CCI 250 primer in my rifle for competitions (this is as close as you can get to the original .30 US round).  She seems to like that round best.  I've tried other loads that were recommended to me such as 150 gr RN, 165 and 180 gr spritzers, and even tried 168 gr RNBT Match bullets... but I seem to keep coming back to my standard 220 gr load, as it performs best with those. 

In my cutoff sporter, I shoot cast now exclusively in CBA matches.  I normally shoot a 195 gr .310 NOE 311365 spritzer over 17.0 grains of 5744 and a standard CCI 200 primer.  I can hold an inch or less at 200 yards with these!  Bob Wolfe provides me with these bullets.

The only advice I can give you is: once you find a load you are happy with... stick with it!  Everyone touts their load as the end-all/be-all, but as I said, not all Krags like the same loads.  The other advice I'll give is to be careful to not exceed 40,000 CUP no matter what you wind up shooting.  Krag shooters in the past have tried to push their velocities up to dangerous levels in the hope of achieving better accuracy, and wound up with damaged rifles (cracked bolt lugs, sometimes cracked receivers, and sometimes worse).

Happy shooting, and let us know what you wind up with and how she does!

IP Logged

Parashooter
KCA Forum Member

Kragmudgeon

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
psteinmayer wrote on Aug 28th, 2015 at 11:03am:
. . . such as 150 gr RN, 165 and 180 gr spritzers. . . a 195 gr .310 NOE 311365 spritzer . . .

Arrrrgh! Again with the mixed-drink bullets! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

RichWIS
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Any rifle (Krag or not) is a crap shoot as to accuracy, some just do better than others.  Remember the Krag is a battle rifle and not a match rifle, and 2-3 MOA is about par for any rifle in that category.  Unless it is scoped or you have exceptional eyesight I  think you are doing fine.  Remember also that if the barrel is new it is going to get better, tests by Remington during WWII while making the 03 and 03A3 showed accuracy got much better after about 200 rounds, and slowly continued to get better for thousands of more rounds.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
I think I'll give those Spritzers a Shot!

IP Logged

psteinmayer
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Parashooter wrote on Aug 28th, 2015 at 2:32pm:
Arrrrgh! Again with the mixed-drink bullets! Roll Eyes

LOL Stupid auto-correct!

IP Logged

Rick H.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2015 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the help guys......I'll keep working on this.

Let me ask about the Krag experts here about the mechanics of these rifles.  When I installed the new Criterion barrel I noticed that the front barrel bands really "trap" the barrel into the stock.  This is somewhat contrary to building an 03/03A3 where one is looking for some room for the barrel to move a bit.  Also with the 03/03A3's the ideal setup is to get some amount of forend tip pressure on the end of the barrel.  Does any of this 03/03A3 technique carry over to the Krag or is it better to have the barrel tight in the stock?  It looks to me like trying to get forend tip pressure towards the end of the barrel could be somewhat difficult compared to an 03/03A3 due to the design of how the receiver is bolted into the stock.

I could be over thinking all of this, but I usually have better shooting results when I have put new Criterion barrels on other rifles.  Being that it is a new barrel I also figured that it would perform better with jacketed bullets versus cast.

Thanks for any advice.

Rick H.

IP Logged

butlersrangers
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2015 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Make sure your front trigger guard screw is tight and the rear screw is just snug. If you over-tighten the rear guard-screw, it will lift barrel in the stock's barrel-channel.

I adjust my trigger-guard screws with the rear barrel-band loose and the front-band forward (off the stock) and make sure the barrel is laying nicely in the channel.

(I grip the attached hand-guard and stock, with my left hand behind the rear-sight). I install and tighten the front guard-screw first. Next, I adjust the rear guard-screw. Then, I clamp the rear band tight on its swivel and finally slip the front band in position.

This has always worked well for me, when reassembling Krags. (Note - IMHO - It is normal for the rear and front barrel-bands to be touching the Krag barrel. However, when properly 'set-up', there is just contact and the barrel is not 'lifting-up' against the bands).

p.s. Make sure your Krag's hand-guard is adequately to the rear, so that its front edge is not interfering with the rear barrel-band. The band should seat squarely against its stock shoulder. I notice a lot of Krags with the band not clamped squarely in place because the top of the band is held forward by an improperly installed hand-guard.

(photo to show correct install).

IP Logged

madsenshooter
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Townsend Whelen's team from the Phillippines won the big army match one year, and it was his thought that the bands should be sanded inside so that the lengthening of the barrel as it got hotter wouldn't be inhibited.  I've done that, and found that one can go too far, especially with the front band.  It has to make some contact, but at the same time, not be overly tight.  The rear over the barrel band of the upper band touches on one side of the barrel, the front over the barrel band of the upper band touches on the other. I can see light between barrel and band otherwise.  Others over the years have tried different techniques.  One of my 92/96 rifles is almost free floated.  Actually they even took some wood out of the receiver ring portion of the stock.  Then there's very light contact at the rear band, and again about 1/2" behind the front band.  I've seen this free floating fairly often.  I was able to tell from the pics on another board that it had been done to a 98.  I generally work on the rear band so that it grips the wood solid, no movement of the band when pulling with a sling, but only touching the barrel.  This could require some thinning of the swivel tab, I leave it swinging free.  My rifles shoot wonderful groups off the bench, but my shooting from positions leaves much to be desired.   Embarrassed

IP Logged

Rick H.
KCA Forum Member

Krag Enthusiast!

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 3:01am
Print Post  
This is all very interesting and in some respects very similar to what some do with the 03/03A3's.  The free floating of a barrel has some merit as many rifles use that concept.  Others feel the fore end of the stock must exert 5 or more pounds of upward pressure on the barrel yet the barrel bands must not bear against the barrel.  I have built several USMC sniper clones for guys and my initial test firing is always done without the handguard or barrel bands.  This gives me a real good idea of how the rifle will shoot.  Then I install these items and again test fire the rifle to see if anything has changed.  If so I begin looking for the problem and correct it. 

I may take the extra steps with my Krag and go through the same routine just to see what happens.  It's my personal opinion that a new Criterion barrel should result in 100 yard groups certainly less than 2 inches.  I do know that the barrel bands are  placing a lot of force on the barrel resulting in the barrel being trapped.  Perhaps this isn't a good thing.

Rick H.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint